• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Prototype sold by GL

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you see this M1008 sold yesterday 1/24/13. Serial number 300003, dod 1983. Differences from production seem to be the MERDC paint job, silver colored air cleaner, and wheels. The engraving on the data plate is also different. Interesting to see uncle kept this truck for so many years in stock form at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thats neat, but how do we know those mods weren't added down the road? The drivers alternator is swapped, and tires and an air cleaner are easy to change.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was serial #300002, not #300003. It was a very early production truck, in fact it might have been the first or second one built. The early trucks in all of the factory photos all rolled of the line with 4-color camo. The stamped plate is interesting. This might have been the second production CUCV, but I would not classify it as a prototype. The wheels appear to be aftermarket. Even the prototype photos that I have seen had stock wheels.

IdahoPlowboy

Did you see this M1008 sold yesterday 1/24/13. Serial number 300003, dod 1983. Differences from production seem to be the MERDC paint job, silver colored air cleaner, and wheels. The engraving on the data plate is also different. Interesting to see uncle kept this truck for so many years in stock form at Aberdeen Proving Ground.
I probably saw that truck driving around new early in its life, I spent a good part of 1984 stationed at Aberdeen.

Skinny

$4800 + fees + tax for a 1983 chevy pick up?
Wow, what am I missing?
You are apparently missing a key part of this equation!!!

$4800 + fees + tax + bragging rights

This would have been much better if it was unmolested for that kind of money...not that it wouldn't take much to put it back though.

Not a terrible price, but seems somewhat high seeing as it does not run and has brake problems. Probably needs a drive shaft too. Lots of rust on the interior chrome. Body looks clean and straight though which is a bonus. I'd say wheels and tires were added but they look good to me.

If you are a buyer and live close to a surplus outlet, I'd keep an eye out there. General Jim's in Clair MI always sells them at $3995 but they go through them and make them roadworthy before sale. Mine had real ugly paint but came with two brand new military batteries, belts, drive shaft, starter relay, etc.

http://www.generaljims.com/

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks