• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 rear bumper R & R difficult? tips?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to instal a Curt 14082 class v hitch, and my understanding is
that if you first remove the rear bumper, it will go on without any mods.
I don't want to start hacking up anything on my M1008 that would compromise
the structure of my pintle hook, since I tow mil trailers as well.

I am working by myself so if you have any tips or suggestions, let em rip.

Thanks,
Bruce

Matt65

I have removed and replaced these before, they can be a pain to get aligned. be sure to have a line up par and impact wrenches. You will probably need another person to support.

I have a picture of my hitch posted here. I did not remove the bumper to install it.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Matt, Could you please post the PRO series model # of the hitch and where you bought it
if on line. I am assuming it is a class 3 or 4 hitch.

It would be great if I didn't have to R & R the bumper.
The person who recomended the other hitch, said he had to do some grinding to get it to fit unless
he first removed the bumper. Something to do with not being able to wrench the installation bolts.

Appreciate the help!
Bruce

Last edited:

Matt65

I can not recall the part number, but I did find it here on SS. I would strongly recommend getting one like mine where the main square draw bar bolts to the frame brackets. This allows you to put it on in 3 pieces instead of 1. Leave all the bolts loose until the end, then drive them home with an impact. I did have to cut the hitch brackets a bit. It's mounted straight to the frame by a total of 8 1/2" Bolts, That will hold!

Attachments