• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Rear Shock Mount

Rebelpride

I have been in the process of lifting my M1008 and the only thing left is to install the pass. side rear shock. My problem: the Skyjacker shock that I had been trying to install would not clear the axle. I tried to beat the mount back towards the rear but only ended up cracking a weld. Took the one rear shock that I had assembled and tried to install it on the drivers side mount and tada it went right in place like its supposed to. It appears that G.I. Joe may have backed over something and pushed my mount in.

My question is how do you fix it? Beat it back and reweld (can you weld on an axle w/o cracking/weakening issues)? Heat it up and gently pull it back to the stock location? Or carefully cut it off and reweld it?

ralbelt

I would try heat and pull back into place with a come a long first, If I didn't like that I would vote to cut it off with a cutting wheel clean up the mounting area, reshape the mount if it is bent up , and then reweld.

AK_M1028

How did you lift the rear of the truck? Did you install the tapered shims to correct the pinion angle? I did a shacle flip on my M1028 and it rotated the pinion up and I can't attach the right rear shock as well. I got new spring perchs and I'm going to rotated the pinion down so I should be able to reach the mount. I'm installing a u-bolt reversal kit at the same time.