• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 shakes completely when braking

Try hitting a speed bump at about 20 mph and no brakes. You might be able to induce a wobble. Like above, changing the kingpin springs and cups cured by wobble. While I was down there I did add a new stabilizer, but I am 100% confident it was my KP springs.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm very far from being an expert about these things, but my gut says you should check the rear wheel bearings. The added weight may have made a failing bearing worse, and bad bearings will start to bleed grease as they go.

MrJJ

Have replaced the kingpin springs an cups this weekend, in compare to the new springs the old ones did shrink ....the differences where about 3 and 4 mm smaller than the new ones.
Steering is a lot better now as it evver was, but still after hitting the brakes a few times harder at higer speeds the wobbel is comming back, im my opinion starting on the right side of the car.
When hitting the brakes harder the car is pulling a littel to the right but not that much.
I know that some years back when i pulled the calipers there was some rust in them and on the pistons i than cleaned them with some fine sandpaper.
I wondering now could this give the troubles, or could it be that one of the bushings of the springs is worn out after 28 years?

mikes47jeep

oil/ brake fluid contaminated brake shoes can cause a chattering an grabing that would cause a problem like yours

hit them with Brake Kleen and see if it helps at all if it dose, get new shoes and fix whatever is leaking, also be sure to spray down the drums too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks