• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 shock absorbers needed...

Mudstone

search... they are available from ANYWHERE... you have a 84 Chevy pickup. With J code diesel... any parts place can get you shocks. Bilstein are my personal fave.

Trent

does anyone have the part no for the Bilstein 5100s? front and rear?
They have different lift heights listed , I have an 86 CUCV pick up with dual rear wheels
Not sure about the lift heights, I don't want to purchase wrong items

Merddin

Monroe gas magnums Amazon
Front 34919 rear 34920
About $160 for all four.
Rancho shocks run around $50 a piece for rs5000 series.
Get on Amazon and search for Chevy k30.
Bilsteins are great but they are $80 a piece

Trent

Thanks

I was on Amazon: Issue is there are several model Bilsteins ,I was looking for best shocks to put on , money not main issue
Are the Monroe's good? They had notes about the lift height
My CUCV is stock , but I am not sure if a stock CUCV is considered "lifted" compared to a K30 "civilian" model

Here is what I was looking at (this is off Amazon site)

[h=1]Bilstein 24-187077 5100 Series Shock Absorber 5100 Series Shock Absorber [/h]
This product fits this position on your 1986 Chevrolet K30:
  • Front

Notes: B8 5100, FOR FRONT LIFTED HEIGHT: 3-4"

[h=1]Bilstein 33185569 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber [/h]
  • Rear

Notes: 5100 Series Shock Absorber; Compression Bump Stop On Chassis May Need To Be Modified To Prevent Damage To The Shock;Rear w/3 in. Lift; Rear w/3.5 in. Lift; Rear w/4 in. Lift; Rear w/5 in. Lift; Rear w/5.5 in. Lift; Rear w/6 in. Lift;

[h=1]Bilstein 5100 33104652 Shock Absorber [/h]
  • Rear

Notes: B8 5125, FOR REAR LIFTED HEIGHT: 2-2.5"

Merddin

I have run Monroe's on my trucks for years. I just put a set on my m1008 and they ride great. A cucv is just a civilian k30 with some military add onss. Same height and all that. So you don't need shocks for a lifted truck u less you are planning to put a lift kit on.

Trent

OK Thanks
I know the CUCV was built off a K30 , I know the 24V system etc.. is different, I am never really sure, however, what if any are the other "departures" from the stock K30 are. Also does is matter that I have dual rear wheels? I don't see anything that says otherwise so I think I am OK
I will give the Monroe's a try. The ones on the vehicle now are badly rusted so I figured it was about time to do them. They may even be originals from factory
I have 100K on it, owned it for 5 years, I put about 500 miles a year on it
Thanks again

Merddin

My shocks were were original with 57,000 mi and the truck was very bouncy. The Monroe's made a huge difference. The old shocks were so worn out anything would have been better. It didn't take too long to install but I took my time and cleaned up bolts.

Merddin

I don't think dualies would matter.
As for other departures from civilian model:
Brush gaurd
Black out lights front and rear
Slave cable
No radio
No ac
Extra leaf spring( I think)
Pintle hitch
Gun racks in cab
Lifting shackles front and rear
J code motor which has different Intake and higher compression and no emissions stuff, from what I have read puts out around 160 hp vs civi 135hp. Higher torque too I think around 250-300 ft-lbs.
Detroit lockers in rear
I am sure other members could add to this list who know a lot more about it than I do.

MarcusOReallyus

I don't think dualies would matter.
As for other departures from civilian model:
Brush gaurd
Black out lights front and rear
Slave cable
No radio
No ac
Extra leaf spring( I think)
Pintle hitch
Gun racks in cab
Lifting shackles front and rear
J code motor which has different Intake and higher compression and no emissions stuff, from what I have read puts out around 160 hp vs civi 135hp. Higher torque too I think around 250-300 ft-lbs.
Detroit lockers in rear
I am sure other members could add to this list who know a lot more about it than I do.
I think that about covers it. The springs are a Chevy optional item - special order, but quite civilian.

If it's a common part, when in doubt order stock 1984 K30 parts (even if yours was made in 86).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks