• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 shocks

USAWEAPON777

Hey guys, i've been driving my m1008 around in the snow and its been a blast but i have a question. When i'm driving offroad and it starts to slip the truck starts bouncing really bad. I mean if i keep the throttle on i think i'm going to break something? Do i have bad shocks? It wouldn't suprise me since everything on this truck looks original. Any help appreciated

countryboy

Replacing the shocks probably would help it at least i had a shock break off in the back and it did the same thing anytime it would start spinning it would hop new shocks now and doesnt hop at all

AJMBLAZER

Sounds like axle wrap. Feel like the back end is almost torquing and then slamming back into the right position?

That's because it is. Leaf springs do this when they're giving before the tires can transfer the traction to the ground.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, every leaf spring does it...just depends on the springs, their condition, the vehicle, the suspension setup, how much power the engine makes and how much of that gets to the wheels, the tires, the terrain, etc etc etc.

With the CUCV pickups it's mainly a factor of low rpm torquey engine, deep gears, and less weight over the rear end. Just back off and don't be stupid (although new shocks would probably be good, definitely made mine ride and handle better). If you're that worried about it start researching traction bars or something.

I had a '96 Ford Ranger 4x4 with some SOFT rear springs with about 160k on them. Flexed like mad but man, axle hop literally meant the rear end hopping up and down sideways!

USAWEAPON777

Alright thanks for the info. I was hoping to do a lift this summer and I'm pretty sure nothing been replaced on this truck yet so hopefully new shocks and springs will firm it up a bit. I guess I shouldn't use lift blocks for the rear?

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Alright thanks for the info. I was hoping to do a lift this summer and I'm pretty sure nothing been replaced on this truck yet so hopefully new shocks and springs will firm it up a bit. I guess I shouldn't use lift blocks for the rear?
No. Either new rear leaf springs or a shackle flip. If you're that worried about the axle wrap nothing will get rid of it short of some sort of a link system or traction bar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks