• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Side Winch Mount?

fal_shooter

I want to mount a winch on the side of my M1008 bumper. I am looking for mount design plans. I saw this mount system on a TV show and I like the idea. I have a receiver hitch mounted front and back on my truck that I want to keep available so I don't want a center mounted winch. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any plans for the mount? The pictures below will show you what I am talking about. Might do the tire mount also because I want to carry more than one spare.

creek winch 2.jpgcreek winch 1.jpg

Last edited:

Skinny

I typically don't voice my opinion on items that fall down to personal taste but that configuration does nothing for me. The tire blocks the radiator, that is a lot of weight hanging off the frontend for no reason, it is one more thing to drive into an obstacle while fourwheeling, the winch blocks the turn signal, what happens during a hard left cable pull, and how much room in the 8' bed are you really saving by putting it all up there?

I remember a truck looking like that on ebay not that long ago..owner wanted something stupid like $15k or $20k for it. The writeup had doomsday in it so I immediately figured that it must be worth ten times as much and runs on unicorn farts :)

zone zero

It's not a good idea your not evenly placing the load on the frame, you end up adding a significant amount or stress to the passenger side frame rail. You have to remember under winching situations your not just pulling the weight of your truck as dead weight your pulling the weight of the truck plus the object your hung up on too. Go on YouTube and watch guys rip their trucks right off their axles stuck in mud. There's a very good reason winches are center mounted on all heavy equipment and cranes.
From the look of that picture ID bet that winch never gets used

fal_shooter

You both make good points. I agree about the tire just adds too much weight and potential problems to the front. I didn't consider the frame rail issues. I mainly wanted to put it on the side because I already have a receiver hitches mounted on center both front and back. I use that for a small 2500 lb ATV winch. I also use the front receiver hitch to move my trailer around. I admit I didn't think it through when I thought mounting a big winch to the side seemed like a good idea. I guess I could move the front receiver hitch to the side and mount the big winch in the center. The receiver hitch is just for light duty stuff so it shouldn't mess up the frame.

I've seen receiver mounted winches but I don't trust they would be strong enough to handle a 12K winch so I guess I will need to go with a permanent center mount.

I appreciate your input and value your advice.

rustystud

I remember a truck looking like that on ebay not that long ago..owner wanted something stupid like $15k or $20k for it. The writeup had doomsday in it so I immediately figured that it must be worth ten times as much and runs on unicorn farts :)[/QUOTE]

Unicorn farts have tremendous BTU values !!!! You can drive from the West coast all the way to the East coast on just 4 farts ! As a bonus Unicorn poop tastes like ice-cream ! At least that is what I'm told. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=unicorn+poop

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a good idea your not evenly placing the load on the frame, you end up adding a significant amount or stress to the passenger side frame rail.
In a straight pull, yes. But if the user puts a snatch-block out at the anchor and loops back to the shackle on the other side, it would be pretty much centered. No?

I don't think the tire is blocking the radiator, it looks like there's almost a foot of space between it and the grille. The fan can pull air through easily. It's not a jet engine intake after all. Nonetheless, I am not a fan of the tire out on the front like that.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a straight pull, yes. But if the user puts a snatch-block out at the anchor and loops back to the shackle on the other side, it would be pretty much centered. No?
No ,it is still pulling on the outside of the frame rail not the frame rail like the shackle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks