• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 springs

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

My brother is planning on turning his M1008 into a mud truck and was wondering what the differences are between 3/4 ton chevy leaf springs and the springs in a 1008. I guess he can find lots of lift kits that say they are for 3/4 ton trucks but not many for 1 tons. He was wondering if there are any differences in dimension like the width or length. Weight capacity isn't really an issue because this will be a toy truck. The deuces do the real work.

He's looking for about 6 inches of lift because he has a set of 37s and may want to go to a little taller tire eventually.

Croatan_Kid

The rear springs will be 56", not sure if the fronts are different or not. I know 1/2 ton front springs are shorter at 45" as opposed to the 47" of a 1-ton.

Just hit up ORD and get some 6" HD Rough Country springs and a shackle flip with some 6" shackles for the rear. :-D

kennyw

I know 1/2 ton front springs are shorter at 45" as opposed to the 47" of a 1-ton.
Where did you get this info from?

Dimensionally there is no difference between the front springs on a K10/K20/K30 in the 73-87/91 square body style with a solid front axle. Only difference is the # of leafs that make up the pack and weight capacity which doesn't affect you as you replace them with lift springs.

The rear can be 52" or 56" long on a 3/4 ton, but they will be 56" long on the rear of a K30. Using stock springs with a shackle flip can give you the best bang for your buck if your capable of cutting and re-welding the spring perches to get the driveshaft angles correct.

However, for 37" tires you don't "need" 6" of lift. I'm running 2" lift with 37" tires and minor fender trimming. This way I don't have all the complications of a tall lift and I can still drive the truck on the road comfortably if needed.

Croatan_Kid

I had a set of 1/2 ton springs next to my front springs and mine were 2" longer. It didn't make much sense to me, I thought they were the same too, but apparently they're not.

I was going to use them to lower a truck back to stock height, but like I said, they were too long.

kennyw

If your comparing stock springs to aftermarket springs there is going to be a difference if you don't know how to measure along the spring. But I've pulled stock springs from all size trucks hundreds of times and never found a difference between 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton.

If you take the same length spring and put an arch in it for lift, it looks shorter, but your supposed to measure from eye to eye while following the spring arch.

Croatan_Kid

Truth be told, it was probably the way the mounts on the Jeep were. It was a shackle reversal and a full-width axle swap, so he probably made the mounts work for those particular springs, thus they wouldn't work with the flat, stock springs.

That make sense? It does in my head :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks