• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 starter running-on

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougco1

It’s not a ”Ford” solenoid.

By definition, it’s a relay.(not a solenoid).

There is much more to the reason I chose the relay that I did. If you do some research, you would understand why.

Some people just don’t want to change anything. That’s fine too.

It’s a shame that some only bash or put down others ideas in the forums(rather than try to understand).

I am not of the camp that simply replaces parts or paints things.

I consider the relay mod as a modern day “RECALL”.

In the end, do what you like and be happy with “your” choice.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try filling out a job application with YouTube or bing video links in place of a degree and see how fast you get hired.

cucvrus

Dougco1 That is a very nice video. Now that you are retired you can make more videos on other items that plaque the aging CUCV. How about one on the fuse box melting and the power steering bracket breaking. I wish the government would have demanded the CUCV be made out of Aluminum, Galvanized, or Stainless Steel. Thank you for the video.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, when the starter runs on, is it the nail or the motor(with green spinning thing) that’s bad? Or just replace the AA batteries? Maybe just dirty contacts on the tacks or aluminum floppy thing?

Last edited:

cucvrus

So, when the starter runs on, is it the nail or the motor(with green spining thing) that’s bad? Or just replace the AA batteries? Maybe just dirty contacts on the tacks or aluminum floppy thing?
A.) is it the nail
B.)or the motor(with green spining thing
C.)Or just replace the AA batteries
D.)ust dirty contacts on the tacks or aluminum floppy thing?
E.) All of the Above.

E.) Is the correct answer.

A.) Is the Relay
B.) Is the starter
C.) Is the battery's
D.) Could be the switch mounted on the column
E.) Is start by checking all of the above and then make a decision to replace a $20. relay or redesign the starting system. Good Luck. Nothing is Infallible.

On a positive note just keep in mind it is a 35+ year old vehicle that worked all this time. Fix the issue that caused the failure. I got parts to paint. Be Safe. Wear that Mask.

dougco1

Try filling out a job application with YouTube or bing video links in place of a degree and see how fast you get hired.
doghead
Should I take your comment as humorous or sarcastic.
For being a long time moderator on this site you should be more clear.
And if it was meant to be sarcastic I would think an apology is in order.
By the way, I went to the University of hard knock and yes I graduated with a degree.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My comments can be taken either way. That’s a special writing technique I learned. For more writing techniques, Click here

Also, I am now working on a new modification! Still under development/hacking. Look forward to a new bigger nail, or possibly a freshly polished screw, in the near future.

95FCA4C9-E77F-426A-850E-6FD4271F3E79.jpeg

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My comments can be taken either way. That’s a special writing technique I learned. For more writing techniques, Click here

Also, I am now working on a new modification! Still under development/hacking. Look forward to a new bigger nail, or possibly a freshly polished screw, in the near future.

View attachment 833830
I suggest duct tape.

MarcusOReallyus

There is much more to the reason I chose the relay that I did. If you do some research, you would understand why.

Some people just don’t want to change anything. That’s fine too.

It’s a shame that some only bash or put down others ideas in the forums(rather than try to understand).

If you want people to understand, how about explaining your reasons instead of simply dismissing those who don't "understand"? It shouldn't be difficult to share your research and your reasoning, and it would be far more beneficial to the SS audience than simply expecting people to take your word for it.

But the fact is, some of us do understand (I have a fancy piece of paper and a 37 year engineering career that say I know something about electricity) , and aren't convinced of the need for a 100 amp relay for a circuit that draws 9 amps. Relays just aren't all that complicated.

And, since many people get along fine for decades with the stock GM relay, and some others still have run-on with the 100 amp relay, the data doesn't seem to support the massive overkill approach with its hazard of the exposed contacts.

A cutoff switch on the output of the relay where the driver can quickly get to it would be better insurance against a stuck starter relay.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have explained it before, and I will not now, here. I am always met with resistance and ignorance from the same select few members. I simply dont care to debate it anymore. Do your own research if you want to. (right here in SS with a search).

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks