• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 starting issues

chevywood

Ok guys, a newbie here, have only had my 84 m1008 about 3 months. Was working fine and now cannot get it to start. I have not done the Doghead mod as I just found it, instead, tried to replace the relay with a part from autozone(ac40) and still no start, makes less of a clicking noise now. Anyway, got to checking some volt readings and purple/white wire is showing 12v but red wire is showing nothing. It has 2 new batteries. Any suggestions to why and what to look for?

mudman

Charge the batteries first, make sure they are both up to full charge first before you do another thing. Step two, make sure Glow plugs are working, do not use ether either...Pop goes the weasel. If botrh those check out ok, then I believe you may have air or a leak in your fuel delivery system. Just say'n

Ken

jeeplvr247

Sounds like the batteries are dead. Give them a charge, if they die again you have a charging issue. My '09 would slowly loose its charge but it would take months so I never fixed it.

MT4222

Fully charge your batteries and then have them load tested. Sometimes they will read full but they are an open circuit and are very weak. You can get them load tested usually for free at any auto parts store. Is their any lights coming on your dash?

chevywood

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will charge the batteries this weekend, although that are brand new from o'riellys. And yes, dash lights do come on when I turn the key on

chevyCUCV

Try spinning the engine over a tad by either the crank bolt or the flywheel teeth.

Could be weak starter, start gear not lining up right, or being stuck out.

chevywood

Ok guys, must admit I am a real idiot. After doing Doghead mod and all the suggestions I got and still wouldn't start, started looking at starter/battery sticky realized that my batteries were connected as parallel instead of series. Switched them around and she fired right up. Still wasn't able to go for a drive as it wouldn't move. Apparently all of the tranny fluid has leaked out, so it is on to figuring out where the leak is and getting that fixed

M1008driver

tried to replace the relay with a part from autozone(ac40) and still no start
If that is the gp relay try the BWD S603,

Autozone Duralast/Glow Plug Controller
Part Number: U1453,
Xref Brand: BWD Xref Part #: S603

or the NAPA Glow Plug RelayPart Number: ECH ST85

The doghead mod (use the right part) and gp resistor bypass are your friend and not hard to do.

EDIT- I guess I am too late. I had my tranny checked and serviced. It was well worth the expense. About $150 if I remember. You can do it yourself too. Add some fluid and see what happens.

After doing Doghead mod and all the suggestions I got and still wouldn't start, started looking at starter/battery sticky realized that my batteries were connected as parallel instead of series.
Who hooked up your batteries? 24 volt and 12 volt are two different systems you do not want to get confused. You have two alts, right? I hope you get her going soon.

Last edited: