• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 starting problem

MVtrucker

My CUCV pickup started and ran fine the other day, but after it sat
for about half a day, the Wait and Water in Fuel lights did not come
on and it didn't want to start. I applied 12 volts to a lug on the glow
plug solenoid (on firewall) to activate it and the motor started fine. I
tried several different glow plug "cards", including one NOS. I have the
manuals on CD-ROM, but before I get into that I'm hoping someone
will be able to clue me in as to what to look for.
Thanks,

mangus580

Joe, have you checked all your fuses? My first thought is a blown fuse supplying the gp controller and wif light with power.

MVtrucker

Mike,
You were right on! I didn't know that there was a fuse involved and I found a blown one. Replaced it and am back in business. Age and experiene causes me to get too technical and I overlook the simple things!
Thanks much,
Joe

n1vbn

Hey Joe,

Don't feel bad bout the fuse feel bad for the owner of the autobody shop that sold my M-1009 to me. When I looked at it he told me the tranny was bad, number 2 alternator was bad, the radiator leaked like a seive.

New 7 lb. radiator capw/lever release $7.95, new VRV (vacuum regulator valve) $70 at local Chevy dealer, mounted same and adjusted on injection pump and $.20 for a new 10 amp fuse at the nine o'clock position of the turn signal flasher. Idiot light for number two generator now came on and VOILA!! the alternator generates juice.

Morale of the story? Tranny shifts just fine number 2 alternator puts out just fine and oh yeah.....I hadda stop at the local supermarket for a 12 ounce can of black pepper. Black Pepper? Four tablespoons every six months and no more radiator leak. :)

Morale of the story?

Stopped at the autobody where I bought it for a inspection sticker one year later....His own mechanic quoted him $1500 to fix the problem's I found when I bought it. :shock:

Jim

Derry, NH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks