• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Starting Problems

Disciple

I've tried multiple searches for the issue I'm having with no real luck. I don't know what the problem is I need to fix or where to start looking yet. Was hoping someone's experience could tell me where to start looking, or that you could at least point me towards the appropriate thread(s).

I have an '86 Chev M1008. It's my DD work truck, so I depend on it to make a living right now.

I replaced the GP's and batteries a couple of weeks ago and life was good. Been starting fine until a couple of days ago. I did notice that after I swapped the GP's that I was not getting the GP Relay "click" when turning the key forward, and I swear that the Volt meter is reading lower than it used to before start. But, it was still cranking and turning over fine, so I didn't worry. Also, the WTS light only seems to come on in the mornings after it's been sitting overnight, where as it seemed to come on more often (like almost every time I started it, unless it was just a few minutes from running to next start).

A couple of days ago I jumped in after work to go home, no WTS light, waited a few seconds anyway, cranked it and it would just crank and crank, no start until the batteries were dead. Tried a few different throttle positions, no go. Disconnected the batts and let them charge off co-workers car for about 15 mins. each. Went to start again, and after about 10-15 seconds of cranking (with white smoke from exhaust) she fired up. I also noticed that the cable between the two batteries was getting VERY hot after cranking. Was planning to upgrade all battery cables to larger sizes this weekend.

Now it's done this to me every day this week when I go to leave work. It's ONLY when I want to go home!!!! Starts fine in the mornings! Weird.

I was thinking it may be the GP relay because I'm not hearing the click, so I was going to do your Push Button system, could you please send me a link to the instructions for this? Also, was considering the underdash starter relay bypass.

Any ideas?

Disciple

Figured out what the problem was. It was the temp sensor on the driver's side towards the rear above the valve cover. Disconnected it and it starts right up now. Guess the GP's weren't turning on when it was just barely cold enough to need them. Will replace the sensor this week when I get time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you found the problem.

Disciple

Thanks for the help. The TM didn't actually tell me to check this, I only did because you mentioned that that's what it may be, and it was.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured out what the problem was. It was the temp sensor on the driver's side towards the rear above the valve cover. Disconnected it and it starts right up now. Guess the GP's weren't turning on when it was just barely cold enough to need them. Will replace the sensor this week when I get time.
Post the part number, brand etc......It will help other people.

Glad you figured it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks