• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Steering Issues

dodger73

Have a 1986 M1008 with 45,000 original miles on it. We got it when it had 5,000 miles on it from Boyce Equipment out of Ogden, UT and were the first person to title it. Runs like a top and is in mint shape. About a year ago when you would turn the corner, you would keep turning and turning the steering wheel & it would veer into the other lane. You would keep turning and finally it would turn. It would sometimes act like the steering was getting stiff and hard to turn. We left the truck sit for a week and then went to work on it and issue had stopped. Today out of the blue, it decided to do the same thing but not as severe as last time. Has anyone experienced such a thing?

cucvrus

I am going to throw my opinion out there. I think it is the front axle u-joints. They are locking up and will not allow you to steer the vehicle straight. Check it out. You will need to pull the front axles and check them. Look at the joints when they are on the truck you may be able to see rust coming from the caps. It is an easy fix if you are familiar with the front axle removal and the process of replacing u joints. Some are locked up tight and will require a press or a u joint removal tool. Good Luck.

Chaski

Both guys posted solid ideas. One thing, if you are not used to driving an older pickup with hydroboost brakes you will lose power steering under moderate to heavy braking while the engine rpm is low or at idle.

The brakes get priority.