• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 straight pipe?

jrobinson5093

Its a different engine, but similar. I put one 3 inch pipe into dual 5 inch stacks on a 1986 f350 with a 6.9 IDI. It sounded pretty good and was loud but with the windows up it was ok. And I had no problem with back pressure.

tim292stro

Is there any functional purpose for these stacks on a pickup or are they in the same category as 32" rims on an 80s Caprice?
Hey... There CAN be function to a stack. I'm putting a stack on the XM1027 (CUCV Crew Cab), but the point is to elevate the exhaust, eject dust from the filter's precleaner, keep exhaust sparks away from dry brush, and avoid boiling the fuel tanks. Carving a chimney out of the back of the cab to accommodate it without loosing bed space - but I'm also putting in a resonator, a HUGE muffler (biggest I could physically fit, 51" long), and wrapping the entire exhaust from turbo to tip with acoustic heat-shield to stop pipe wall resonation. Your familiar flapper on the tip keeps the rain out, and if I camp I can put an extension on the pipe to get the exhaust fumes well above the camp (don't like breathing more exhaust than necessary).

cucvrus

That stack better reach the stratosphere. My wife and I can smell and hear a CUCV a 1/2 mile away. No escape from that rattling stinking sound and smell. Maybe you need to put a DEF on it and it will be a happier gentler CUCV. With the exhaust fluid system you don't smell any exhaust. :)

Tim Sothard

I replaced the stock exhaust with 3" routed the same way and with no mufflers. Sounds terrible. I had the shop cut in some thrush mufflers and now it sounds great. Cant advise on 3" straight pipes with no mufflers, it sounded like a crappy rat rod.

Ilikemtb999

I wish I could add more muffler to mine but since I've got the downpipe running on the outside, there's only so much room under the floor between the rail and rocker. I've got the longest glass pack I could fit under there. At some point I'm going to re do the downpipe to snake in between the crossover and frame so I can run it in stock location and run a big ol muffler.

Turbo noises > exhaust sound

rsh4364

If I wanted to do something cool and different,I would go with 6.5 turbo exhaust manifold on drivers side,then 2.5 crossover to a 6.5 turbo exhaust manifold on passenger side,then 4 bolt flange where turbo would bolt on to a 3" or 4" exhaust pipe straight up thru hood. Just a thought.

86m1028

If I wanted to do something cool and different,I would go with 6.5 turbo exhaust manifold on drivers side,then 2.5 crossover to a 6.5 turbo exhaust manifold on passenger side,then 4 bolt flange where turbo would bolt on to a 3" or 4" exhaust pipe straight up thru hood. Just a thought.

That would look much better than stacks IMO

CUCVLOVER

My m1008 has straight piped exhaust and I like it. I had my local shop install 2.5 inch true duals and some 4 inch tips that are about 2 ft long. I like the sound I get but I'm 17 9i like loud engines. The truck is no louder than my dads 2000 Chevy 3500 with 7.4L gas burner with some no name hot rod mufflers that don't really do anything. This is the only video i have. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NyAW-q7vsLQ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks