• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008-Strange passanger side turn signal issue.

maxpanic

So, problem is this. On both sides the turn signal lights and the side turn signal light flash when I use the turn indicator but the passengers side signal lights don't light up when I turn on the head lights. The driver side lights up when I turn on the head lights, just not the passenger side.

Any idea what this could be?

I have clean and wired brushed the grounds coming from the main cable set that goes to the head lights on the passenger side and still no good.

Thanks,
Max

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't seem to make sense of what you are saying: take it a step at a time. When you use turn sigs without headlights do they work normal? Then what happens to the turn sigs when you turn on the headlights?

Kinda like that...

998Junkie

So, problem is this. On both sides the turn signal lights and the side turn signal light flash when I use the turn indicator but the passengers side signal lights don't light up when I turn on the head lights. The driver side lights up when I turn on the head lights, just not the passenger side.

Any idea what this could be?

I have clean and wired brushed the grounds coming from the main cable set that goes to the head lights on the passenger side and still no good.

Thanks,
Max
I had this issue when I picked up my 1028. The turn indicator lights work, but the night time running lights on the passenger side did not work, in addition when I had the headlights on the internal turn signal flash indicator light would stay on the right side only.

I took both the head light covers off on the left and right pulled the sockets and I started testing with a VM. As I was checking them I noticed that one socket was a little different. The working one had a metal clip that looked to be the ground wire, the other socket it was missing. I replaced the socket and all has been well.

I changed the headlights at the same time as I noticed that the terminal on the headlight was old and cracking and was loose and the headlight would flicker.

I think the socket was $4.00 at Orielly and the headlights were 10.00 a piece.

The TM has the procedure for doing this.

I'll re-read this in the morning... as I have a bad habit of drinking and posting.:cookoo:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also check the small ground wires on the radiator support. A bad one will cause this type of problem

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the lamp sockets. Even if they look good, the contacts can lose their tension. Those little buggers just don't like to hold up forever!

maxpanic

So its a headlight ground?

I had this issue when I picked up my 1028. The turn indicator lights work, but the night time running lights on the passenger side did not work, in addition when I had the headlights on the internal turn signal flash indicator light would stay on the right side only.

I took both the head light covers off on the left and right pulled the sockets and I started testing with a VM. As I was checking them I noticed that one socket was a little different. The working one had a metal clip that looked to be the ground wire, the other socket it was missing. I replaced the socket and all has been well.

I changed the headlights at the same time as I noticed that the terminal on the headlight was old and cracking and was loose and the headlight would flicker.

I think the socket was $4.00 at Orielly and the headlights were 10.00 a piece.

The TM has the procedure for doing this.

I'll re-read this in the morning... as I have a bad habit of drinking and posting.:cookoo:
I also have the issue of the right turn light always on in the dash if I turn on the head lights. Sounds like you are saying there is a ground missing from one of the head light sockets and this is what is causing the running lights not to work on the passenger side? I replaced the headlights but I guess I missed the ground connection problem. I will go back to the sockets and compare and see if I can locate a difference.

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Similar problem. Turn indicator light in the cab was on when the headlights were on. Turn signals didn't work on that side. Turned out to be a bad ground where the wire plugs into the bulb socket on that side.

Unfortunately, you have to go over the whole ground circuit for each bulb looking for problems. Use your meter to check resistance between the bulb socket ground tab and the truck frame. If it is not zero or nearly so, you have something to track down.

Contact cleaner and DE grease are your friends.

maxpanic

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I got it fixed. turned out the issue was the ground wire to the turn signal socket was lose and even though I changed the bulb I didn't notice the ground wire was actually disconnected. Got it all working now.

WARWAG

I understand exactly what your saying. The passenger side turn signal works but your running light does not come on when you turn your head lights on. I had "almost" the exact same problem. Except mine was reverse. The turn signal did not work but the running light did. The problem is the actual plug that connects to the bulb housing. You need to disconnect it and clean the contacts. I changed my bulb but still had no turn signal. After a few times of pulling the wire connector to the back of the bulb housing it stated to make a connection. Get some contact cleaner and clean her up. Then after its working pull it apart again and fill it with Dielectric grease. this will keep all of the moisture out and you shouldnt have any more issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks