• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 tail gait bushing

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to find a source for the bushing on the bottom Driver side of the tailgate and none of the parts places seem to carry it or find it for that matter.
Any leads would be appreciated.
Bruce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the parts ok, but now I have another question.

I had been under the impression from another person that there was a bushing that was worn out at that point and that was why my tailgate is about a quarter inch down on the left side. I went out to make sure I was
looking at the right part and discovered that there was no play in that connection. So my question is, is there
any adjustment possible with those parts before I start tearing things apart?

Yea, and I thought this was a solved problem....duh.

Thanks,
Bruce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, they are all present. If there isn't any adjustment in the bolt holes, then I suspect I may have a bent part.
Thanks, Bruce

burbn10

My M1008 tailgate does the exact same thing. They probably dropped something on it and bent the hinge. I haven't looked into the cause yet. Waiting for consistently good weather before I start doing body work. Keep us posted though if you figure it out! Good luck!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weather finally cleared up a bit and I took off the two parts.
There is no adjustment on the part that attaches to the gate, but there is a little adjustment on the part that attaches to the body. Not a whole lot though, but it is better.
Now I have to ask the following question. If you take your gate off and then look into the hole on the part that is attached to the body. Is there just bare metal, or is there a plastic bushing inside there? or is there a plastic bushing on the outside of the part that is attached to the gate?
Thanks,
Bruce

burbn10

There is no adjustment on the part that attaches to the gate, but there is a little adjustment on the part that attaches to the body. Not a whole lot though, but it is better.
Now I have to ask the following question. If you take your gate off and then look into the hole on the part that is attached to the body. Is there just bare metal, or is there a plastic bushing inside there? or is there a plastic bushing on the outside of the part that is attached to the gate?
Thanks,
Bruce
Hmmm.... Don't have the answer for that one, but Chevy in the 80's didn't use a whole lot of plastic bushings in general.

83GMCK2500

Thanks,
Bruce
I own a 1983 GMC K2500 and it does not have any bushings in there. Neither does our 1976 K1500, nor did our 1986 C2500. That I can remember, I've never seen bushings for the tailgate pivot. It'd be easy to add one on the fully round side, but the one that is Double-D shaped on the body side and slotted on the gate would be a PITA when you went to remove the tailgate.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks