• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 tire size?

rfischba1

Will the BF Goodridge-All Terrain T/A KO (all season) size LT285/75R16E fit the M1008 with out and triming or a lift? I would like to bump up a size from the orginal size tires no on the truck.(LT235/85-16 Coopers)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I installed a new set that size and had absolutely no interference.

rlwm211

I had a set of 285s on some aluminum rims and they were 8" wide. I now have steel wheels and they appear to be 8" and I would mount the 285s on them if that were the size tire I was using.

For where I live, the narrower 235R85s work better on the snowy roads in getting to the base under the slush and snow.

I would imagine that if you can measure the width of your rims and it is 8" you are good to go.

Hope this helps

RL

rlwm211

I need to add to my previous post regarding the tires you indicated you are considering for your CUCV. Sorry for the double posts on the same aspect of the thread, in advance....​

I just did some checking and found the follow excerpt on a forum for 4x4's regarding upsizing tires on rims on Chevys:​

"...technically speaking, a 285/75/16 inch tire is even too wide for the stock 7" rim (Z-71-style), but many of us do it with minimal tire wear problems. As Big Boy (and BF Goodrich) point out, you really should have at least a 7.5" rim width for a 285 tire. Again, the stock 6.5" steel wheels (chrome or painted steel) are just too narrow for a 285mm width tire. "​

I know that the tires will mount on the stock rims. I suspect they are 7" wide. It is possible the military specified a wider wheel which is why you need to find out how wide they are before making a decision on tires being mounted on your OEM rims.​

Even if you decide to mount the tires on your rims that are under width in terms of specs, at least you will be informed.​

I wish I could offer a simple yes or no, but this one
is a judgement call and that is up to you.​

RL​

ehuppert

Yes, the 285's will fit. The rim is a little narrow, but i have not had any abnormal wear issues. I had to adjust the left side steering stop as the tire was hititng the steering gear, but that was the only issue.

The CUCV stock rims are 6 1/2 wide...

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the BF Goodridge-All Terrain T/A KO (all season) size LT285/75R16E fit the M1008 with out and triming or a lift? I would like to bump up a size from the orginal size tires no on the truck.(LT235/85-16 Coopers)

I wanted to go taller than stock and bought 255/85-16 BFG's for their 33.3" diameter. Fit and function with zero issues. Great tire!

Attachments

Rich Johnson

Funny this thread comes up now.
I am redoing my spare because its rotted its so old. The guy I got the 1008 from didnt drive it much after re-tireing it in the early 90s. He put 265-75 firestones on it.

I put a goodyear wranger 235-75 back on the spare because its stock.

I thought alot about BFG all terrians. I love them, I had them for years on my f-150 before I went to their mudders. I just felt from experience that the BFG all terrain tires were a little softer and didnt wear very long even with lots of rotation. So I opted this time for the good year wranger. I dont spend as much time in the dirt any more as I would like or as I used to, most all of it is highway so I hope I get more life out of the goodyears. I kinda feel like I betrayed BFG though. Ive always had them for superior performance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks