• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Tires

CMC Pete

Recently purchased a 86 m1008 from GOV. LIQ. With the 4.56 gears, what is the tallest tire that I can run on this truck without installing any lift kit. New to the forum, any help is greatly appreciated. Working to have a practicle CUCV like what I had in the 'Bees' Will post picture soon. Thanks!:)

Matt65

Welcome to the forum.

There are several threads that touch on this. With no fender cutting or lift I believe most say 33" tall tires will work.

1stDeuce

Skinny 33's, on stock wheels. (255/85R16) With VERY minor trimming to get rid of the sharp edges at the front and rear of the front fenders, a wider tire or wider wheel will be ok, so long as the backspacing stays reasonable. Even with lift, you'll probably have to trim a little of the unfriendly corners off the fenders if you plan to wheel it and don't want tire chewing on fender with wider or taller tires...
C

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 285/75/16 tires on mine and they fit fine(stock truck).

jimmy-90

Hey welcom to the site. I am running 34x10.50-16' super swamper LTB's on the stock rims that came with the truck. I didn't have to lift the suspension OR DO ANY FENDER TRIMMING!!! They clear with plenty of room. When I measured them they are more like 33 1/2 or so inches tall. Any how here's a pic from the side.

Attachments

mtjbrown

Hey welcom to the site. I am running 34x10.50-16' super swamper LTB's on the stock rims that came with the truck. I didn't have to lift the suspension OR DO ANY FENDER TRIMMING!!! They clear with plenty of room. When I measured them they are more like 33 1/2 or so inches tall. Any how here's a pic from the side.

Jimmy, hows the ride with those?? I was considering those myself, just didn'5t know if i could stand the noise:mrgreen:

jimmy-90

For THE G MAN. I got them from National Tire And Wheel www.NTWonline.com. And mtjbrown. I mounted those tires out here at my house with a set of old antique tire spoons from like the 1940s. They are not balanced. Shocker is that they ride amazingly smooth. There is no vibration and you can let go of the steering wheel and the truck still goes as strait as an arrow. They make some noise but you really have to listen to for it over top of the engine noise that theese trucks make. Also I selected the LTB swamper because it is a load range D tire. Ive used alot of bias-ply mud tires before like swampers and swamper boggers and for some reason these seem by far to be the most street friendly. Like I say,it's probly due to the fact that CUCV's are so noisy and vibrate so much already. Also the M1008-1028 bench seat is so thick it absorbs most things.

IowaFamilyGuy

LTB swamper

Hey there, have you tried running those in snow?

I'm working on the 1008 idea currently (clearing it with the tower so to speak), and will need it to be very competent in snow...

The old issue tires weren't so good...

The G Man

For THE G MAN. I got them from National Tire And Wheel www.NTWonline.com. And mtjbrown. I mounted those tires out here at my house with a set of old antique tire spoons from like the 1940s. They are not balanced. Shocker is that they ride amazingly smooth. There is no vibration and you can let go of the steering wheel and the truck still goes as strait as an arrow. They make some noise but you really have to listen to for it over top of the engine noise that theese trucks make. Also I selected the LTB swamper because it is a load range D tire. Ive used alot of bias-ply mud tires before like swampers and swamper boggers and for some reason these seem by far to be the most street friendly. Like I say,it's probly due to the fact that CUCV's are so noisy and vibrate so much already. Also the M1008-1028 bench seat is so thick it absorbs most things.

Jimmy thanks for the info..Definately gonna have to take a look at them on web and also my account at bank...**** they look good too

markinnh

The tires on the truck are load range E unless im mistaken. This speaks to the strenght of the sidewall especially when the truck is fully loaded or towing heavies. They do look great. I am having a little wear issue on my pass side front. I want to get it taken care of before i jump for new sneakers. Do they come in a load range E? I found a Dana 70 dual wheel rear end and budd wheels...ima gona stay stock load range E's but put two more on the pavement to haul my 9 ton 3 axle trailer.

MSG Rusty

I found right now that the 33 od tire is max. I am playing it safe buy adding a helper leaf spring to the front leafs. it will give a extra 1 to 2 inchs. But its not just the heights to watch out for. The width can be a problem as well