• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 - To Buy Or Not To Buy...

wl_M1008

Hello all! I just found and joined this site last night. I am deciding whether to buy an '86 M1008, and if I do it will be my daily driver (wife says ONE car/truck at a time!). Do you guys use them as weekend/camping/hunting rigs or do you drive them to work each morning? What kind of upkeep should I expect (I know this will depend greatly on general condition)? I do all of the repairs and maintenance on my '88 Silverado but have never owned a diesel before. This one is just out of GI ownership with 40,435 miles on the clock. Opinions geratly appreciated!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wl_M1008,

Welcome.

You should be able to handle it. The diesel maintenance is pretty similar. No plugs to worry about or distributor.

But you gotta keep the IP functioning well.

Having one with 41k miles is pretty good. I've got an M1009 with more miles and an M1028A2 (dually) with less miles.

These things are addictive. I noted you are already driving an 88 Silverado. Is that before or after the body style change? If it's before, then your maintenance will be fairly easy.

LEARN how to properly drain your fuel filter and bleed it of air. That's a biggie. Not hard mind you, but definitely a biggie. I would say the same of learning to loosen the injectors enough to get fuel flowing.

OR HAVE a really strongly charged set of batteries and flog the wee out of the starter (kidding, really).

Can you look over the pickup before purchasing it? Is it's sheet metal in good shape?

You will probably have to replace the dashpad. New ones are still currently available from GM. They are expensive. LMC Trucks... you know.

Again, welcome.

Midnight Rider

The 08's are geared so that I don't think you'll like it as a daily driver, at least in stock condition. 55MPH top speed and above that I think it's screaming.

That is at least what I have read in different posts on here.

I was planning on doing the same thing as you though, but I found a 1009 instead.

wl_M1008

I have not looked her over yet, will be doing that tonight. LMC is a good source for parts, have used them on my '88 (after the body change, but I have owned 73-87 trucks before...). How often would I need to bleed the fuel filter? IP - Injection Pump? Loosen the FIs? Again, how often on average? If I do get this truck I will invest in a new set of Optima batteries since the guy put basic Duralst batteries in it. I miss off roading (last one I owned was '73 Blazer in 1985). I also got snowed in at my family's place in Pollock Pines and had to wait till the next day to get out on chains with my 2WD '88. Love the idea of driving a M1008, just need to feel that it will get me to work every day (I'm a high school teacher - I teach engineering and AutoCAD).

Midnight Rider

Mignight Rider - will you be driving the M1009 daily?
Yes, everyday since I have owned it with the exception of this week because of the cold weather. I've got to go through everything and check it out. When it got down to the teens, I couldn't get it started. It was 35 yesterday and I got it started though.

My wife gets the 08 Jeep and I get the 1009. I think I got the better end of the deal. :-D

wl_M1008

Cool! When (at what temp) does the 6.2L have cold start issues? I live in the Sacramento Valley and it stays above 40 most all winter. However I will go to the snow so at times so once in a while the '08 will see temps below 32F. Perhaps a block heater will be a good investment?

An yes, I think you did get the better deal!!!

91W350

If you are not one to be in a big hurry on the road, go for it. I drove my M1008 everyday, until I bought the M1009. I still prefer to drive the M1008 except for longer road trips. It is nice to cruise at 65 instead of 50. That being said, my M1008 is nicer to drive. It goes straighter in the mud and does not spin around nearly as easy as the M1009. A lot of it is due to the narrower tires and added weight of the M1008, not to mention a longer wheelbase.

My son was so-so about the M1008 until we went to Jefferson City and back in it, about 800 miles round trip. We took turns driving down and I drove the M1009 home while he followed with the M1008. Now he can find more reasons to leave his Saturn home and drive my pickup than I can find reasons for him not to. :-D

I had one previously and it was killed around the 90,000 mile mark. Both of mine have been dead on reliable. This one is not quite as good on fuel and is also noticeably quieter. I think the fuel pump may be a little retarded. They were both excellent about starting and I really had no trouble with them.

The previous one had a bad starter and flywheel when I bought it and the lift pump was leaking. It was white and very solid. I paid 700 dollars for it and with the repairs I made plus two tires, I had less than 1400 in it. It had good tires, just mis-matched. The local Sheriff's Officer had been using it for a jail maintenance truck.

My M1009 had a few issues when I got it, a leak in the fuel filter block, a bad lift pump and a seven year old growing battery. That battery's case looked like it was going to explode. I also put glow plugs in it. I drive one or the other every day and both if I can find a reason to. :-D

You stumbled into the best CUCV manual available anywhere! :-D There are some core guys here that can walk you through about anything. Welcome to the forums... Glen

ABN173

Do you guys use them as weekend/camping/hunting rigs or do you drive them to work each morning? What kind of upkeep should I expect (I know this will depend greatly on general condition)? This one is just out of GI ownership with 40,435 miles on the clock. Opinions geratly appreciated!
The 08's are geared so that I don't think you'll like it as a daily driver, at least in stock condition. 55MPH top speed and above that I think it's screaming.

That is at least what I have read in different posts on here.

I was planning on doing the same thing as you though, but I found a 1009 instead.
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

I have owned both a M1009 and M1008, it is true the M1008 is geared lower, but I drive mine everyday to and from work as well as a recent trip to our training area a couple hundred miles away and I cruise at 60-65 without any problem. I have hit 70 briefly to pass but that was as far as I'm willing to push my luck.

As far as your vehicle having only 40,435 miles it could also be 140,435 miles since the odometer only reads up to 99,999 before rolling over.

I have put about 4,000 miles on my M1008 since I bought it last March and I have only flushed coolant and changed the oil.

Good Luck,
Dale

Last edited:

notsosanestan

do you really think a m1008 could have that many miles on it? mines says 36,000 and from what i can tell it seems like its orig miles the underneath looks pretty clean and some of the orig black paint is on the frame

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wl_1008,
The only time you will need to drain/bleed the fuel filter and bleed the injectors is if it's sat FOREVER and was never started. Sometimes that old mechanical pump struggles to refill it all.

And knowing where and how to get air out of your fuel system will only occur when you run out of fuel (not a good idea) or as I stated above, it's sat forever.

OTHER THAN THAT, if you don't run it out of fuel or lose the IP or the fuel pump, then the short answer is that's the ONLY time you should have to do it.

But knowing HOW to do it is fairly simple and easy. Just one step at a time type of a thing.

And you CAN drive that M1008 daily, as long as you are not in a rush.

The gearing is 4.56 in the axles. Given the TH400 and the NP208 transfer case, you should see 65 mph BEFORE coming close to the redline of this particular engine.

Here is the 'Gear Ratio Calculator'. If you need any help with any of the other numbers, like tire size, fire away.

Gear Ratio Calculator

Hope that helps.

Oh, I drove my M1028A2 dually 2000 miles in four days. Note, I orginally thought it was an M1028A3 (as I stated in the thread listed below), but that's when it was pointed out that it had the NP205 transfer case and HAD to be the A2, not the A3. Sure enough, the description plate said M1028A2.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/37101-1800-miles-no-license-plates-half-pack-smokes.html

All at 65 mph. I wouldn't go OVER that and she only got 10 mpg at 65 mph, but hey, it was a very comfortable ride and I had very few problems (ok, one major one, but that's another tale for another thread and had to do with poor maintenance by the military, rather than anything else wrong with the truck).

I LOVE both my M1028A2 and my M1009. I'm still thinking about an M1010 and an M1031(had one and sold it).

I LOVE this body style and would like to add a 3/4 t 6.2L Diesel Suburban to add in to the flock. Even though the military never did this one, I still like the way they look and they will hold a bundle of stuff.

Last edited:

wl_M1008

I have to verify mileage, the seller says it is in the GI docs from his surplus purchase that 40,435 is original miles. Will post later with inspection results! Thanks again for all your input!

doodaa

I just got my m1010 a month ago and worked on it for as long.removed ambulance body and installed flatbed dump,snow plow,removed 24v system reworked glow plugs to momentary switch and we had single digits the other morning I cycled them 4 times and she fired right up without being plugged in,I also have 2 new batts.I am extremely pleased with how she hauls had 3200# scrap steel and she didn't feel a thing even going uphill just chugged along:-D

ABN173

do you really think a m1008 could have that many miles on it? mines says 36,000 and from what i can tell it seems like its orig miles the underneath looks pretty clean and some of the orig black paint is on the frame
Yes it is possible, it all depends on the type of unit. Mine is in great shape but I'm at like 86k now. I know some vehicles that were rolled over to zero during Desert Shield/ Storm.

4bogginchevys

I say get the truck, you'll be glad you did! I would also like to add that although I drive my 1008 whenever I can, it's nice to have other options in the drive way.....I say own vehicles for a purpose. Just my opinion. good luck.:-D

Last edited:

50shooter

They are a great truck with nice options with plenty of parts and addicting. Your 40 degree weather will not bother it. Mine has never failed to start all the way down to -4 f. With a 33" or 34" tire you can hit 58 and not sound like it is going to explode. Mine does seem to like diesel so not sure what other guys expect out of theirs but I must be about as bad as the deuces for MPG

91W350

It takes 2800 rpm to run 60 on a 33" tire. These engines are much more effecient at 1800 to 2200 rpm. It takes almost 2700 to run 60 on a 34" tire. If you target 2200, we are talking about 48 mph on a 34" tire. I know both of my M1008s sounded like they were/are humming at 45, which is about 2150 rpm on a 32 inch tire. My old one would get into the 20s pretty regular, this one is a 17-19 mpg road machine. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks