• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 - To Buy Or Not To Buy...

Look the vehical over good... these trucks are unique! Do the lights work, black out lights, cab lights? Look the batteries over, the connectors and the wiring for the starter. Do the accesories work like the wipers and does it squirt fluid? Does the horn work? Go over the truck and have the GI show you how everthing works. Ask questions!

In hindsight, I don't know if I would have bought the M1008 I have given what I know now. The electrical irregularities are a bitch to fix. I may have passed on it, or negoiated the price down. Your time starts adding up to fix these things. Especially if you want to use it as a daily driver.

The M1008 is a great truck... you wont be disappointed... just know what your getting into.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

K

91W350

That was my welcome home gift from myself when I returned from Iraq last rotation it is a 2008 Harley Davidson Night-Rod (part of the V-Rod family)
It has a 1250cc engine (liquid cooled) :-D
That is a sweet machine!

ActionStarCBRxx brings up a good point. Take a flashlight with you and open the glovebox door, now pull the cardboard top down a little and look under the dash for signs of mice or rats. Those pesky little varmits can do your electrical sustem lot of damage. Generally you will find that they have dug out a lot of the foam from the dash pad and piled crap on top of the heater box. They are not usually so hard on the wiring itself, just the insulation, leaving us with a bunch of bare spots to ground out. Glen

sheesh I wish rats and mice... my problem is with humans!! It's ok to be a newbie (like me) but ask questions if you don't know!

I had another thought and that was look at the floor on both the passenger and driver side along the side. Some trucks leak water and have rust there.

Also... CHECK FOR A SPARE TIRE!! :wink:

Again... great truck and a great bunch of Joe's on this site that will always help you!

K

wl_M1008

Well I loped. Her over today and the condition was little less than I expected but when I drove around the block and the freeway I was impressed! Tight steering solid responsive brakes started right up from cold and didn't hiccup once. 4wd was also tight. Only dissapointment on the bode was a very bent tailgate. Looked everywhere for rust and didn't find any at all. Will need paint, seats and dash pad but I expected that. One of the alternators ws replaced by current owner. I will be buying this truck. May have her home next week! :-D Thanks again for the help, I will be back for more!

91W350

Sweet! I think the vast majority of them picked up some bruises in service. I like to think of them as battle scars some GI did not have to take. :wink: Mine has a couple of dings too, but no rust, not even in the corners of the doors. I should figure out some way to preserve it. Rhino lining? Wonder if he can figure out a way to spray inside those rockers? I am in double trouble now, my wife drove it and she likes it. As if trying to keep my son out of it was not bad enough... Glen

doodaa

The more I drive mine the more I like her.Hauled 3100# engine blocks to scrap yard the other day in one load handled it very well and I was right at gvw since box was heavy and now I have a flatbed in it's place.

wl_M1008

Oh yeah, it's missing one of the tow loops (front drivers side) so I'm looking for a replacement. Will be looking at the classifieds... My plan is to keep her as original as possible. The M16 racks are stayingbas well as the original rims (were the rims OD or black originally?). Read a thread on paint and learned about CARC. Is it best to primer over CARC then put OD & camo on or can I put paint directly on the CARC? There is very minor surface rust on the hood & roof. I get what you all mean by 'addictive'! This is gonna be fun!

wl_M1008

Well, the owner and I were to meet up today but he sold it to another buyer on Saturday without calling me. I will keep on the lookout for another truck...

91W350

There are a couple of members here that have pretty solid trucks for sale. You might browse around a little. Sorry about your loss, I have been there too many times. Glen

bowtiecrazy

Welcome to SS i have a m1008 i drive mine daily hear in the moutians. My 2 cents would be make sure it has been took good care of and not neglected. I bought mine from my neighbor and he let it sit alot and used it for haulin and wheelin. It is a 87 with 74,XXX on it and i have put rebuilt tranny, rebuilt alts(2), new starter, tie rods, drag link(still need sterring box) and not to mention the rest of the stuff i've done(this was a said in referance to the miles). when i bought the truck it got 10 mpg. i have got it to almost 14mpg now. It still is all stock with 33/12.5/16.5 and a homade cold air intake i try to use diesel klean at every fillup. I have put alot in mine but these guys are right they are addictive. gook luck and welcome again.

vegwerx1

Computer In The 1008/09

Hi Guys, I am an old USAF TSGT and I cant remember does the 1008 or 1009 have an ECU, the IP is mechanical is it not? Casn't remember, I have a 6.5 turbo diesel K2500, hate all the electronic sensors and crap, Want soething that will be easy to repair after an EMP.

Thanks in advance

BlackCloud