• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 towing

sebaeb

I'm thinking of buying a m1008 to use for running errands and back and forth to work lite hauling but would like to use it to tow around my 3/4 ton(pulling truck) on a car trailer...truck weighs 6500# plus the trailer....anyone know what i can expect out of a m1008 used for this purpose?

thanks in advance
steve

Westech

CPL
SLOW! lol its 135-155 HP.... and a top speed of around 55 MPH..... if your just going around close to home go for it... they pull great up to 35 MPH and kinda die off from there. It will pull at 55 MPH but the hills will slow her. Its not a Duramax

Ken_86gt

It would be about the same as if you used a 1984 C30 pickup. Your speed would be limited on the highway due to the low gearing and HP. That is a lot of weight to haul around- I am guessing that your trailer is going to add at least 2000# for a total of around 8500#. I would look at a more modern truck to do this and use a 5th wheel trailer.

Now if you bought a duece or 5 ton truck......At least you would have fun.

bigdogdale

This past Tuesday, I made a run to Kansas, having bought an M1028 from muddobber40. I flat towed it home with my M1008 with 37's. I was amazed. Thought I would struggle, but was able to run at hwy speeds mostly. The hills were tough but in rolling country I was able to do up to 75 on my GPS. You will have another 2k lbs with trailer. Prolly gonna be tough if you plan on traveling any distance. My 2 cents....

sebaeb

Thanks for the answers so far...its kinda what i was expecting to hear,but wanted to hear from some experienced people on this board....i would be towing no further than say 150 - 200 miles max round trip ....im sure ill still end up buying a m1008/28/31 sometime in the very near future..(as soon as the right one for me pops up for sale).....i really like the looks and stoutness of these trucks!

Matt65

For the use you have described I would plan on upgrading the M1008 (trans cooler, gearing, etc) or go with a newer truck. Based on my experiance where my truck does the best is offroad payload capability. Pulling a trailer, due to the HP, is where it will have more trouble. Can it do it, yes. But not as well as others. A newer truck will be more capable and reliable since not ~27 yrs old.

pigfoot63

Use mine all the time to pull my 20' car trailer. I did install some airlift bags to level my truck when loaded. I have hauled a few Suburbans. Pulls fine, little slow on long hills. I am running a 4 in. lift and 37in. tires.

kassim503

Its slow going uphill! You'll tire out your right foot from standing on the gas pedal all the time. Ask me, I just drove my loaded 1008 all day.

Ps: +1 definitley get a better transmission cooler for the job.

Last edited: