• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 transfer stuck in 4wH

rfischba1

Anyone know if the transfer case can get stuck in 4wH when a trucks is parked that way. I checked on a truck I won at GL, M1008 had a dead battery, I tried to shove the transfer case shifter up into 2wd it would move to 4wL but seemed stuck in 4wH.
Should the shifter move frreely w/o the engine running and in gear?
Once I get the truck running and move it should it then release back into 2wD?
Or do I have major transfer case problems?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its probably bound up. You can jack up one front tire and let it unspool but I'd use a floor jack and stand back when you jack it up. They can spin violently.

maybefixit

I'd second that, but if it went into Neutral I'd expect that would release binding. On my old Dakota (no lockout hubs) sometimes it would need a little roll to get the gears to line up in order to change modes. I'd not worry about it unless jacking up the tire does not allow it to slide into place.
If there still appears to be trouble, I'd check the shift lever to T-case orientation; perhaps someone had the case in 2wd and bolted the lever in place in 4wd-Hi? That would be an easy rookie mistake and an easy fix.

CCATLETT1984

putting the transmission in neutral will not unbind the driveline. Once the truck is running you may have to pop it into gear, put trans into D and let off of the brake while pushing the handle forward.