• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 transmission removal

ralbelt

I removed the Trans and TC as an assembly today using a fork lift with 5' extensions, to replace the flex plate and broken torque converter bolts.

My question is can I install the trans with adapter plate then install the TC is there enough room to bolt it all together.
The truck is on blocks and it is a little awkward handling the trans and TC as one unit and operating the fork lift. Soldier B is not available.

mangus580

Ditch the forklift... use a floor jack on the cross member, with the trans/tc bolted together.

also, use some long bolts in place of the lower bell-housing bolts, and it will make it much easier to line up.

ralbelt

I bolted in the new flex plate today, which I got from NAPA, 6 bolt 139 teeth Part #600-5041 a perfect fit and exact replacement.
Since I have not ran the engine more than 30 seconds because of the broken plate and torque converter I wanted to hear it run a little longer. So I jumped it from my E250 to only the front battery, cycled the glow plugs once and cranked about 20 seconds, cycled a second time and she started up a little black smoke for a second then the exhaust was nice and clean idled down after about two minutes.I checked all the lights and directionals, all is good. Runs real real nice. After I shut her down waited and restarted only cranked about a half second and was running.

Put the new trans filter, gasket, and vac modulator in. The pan magnet did its job and had collected a small amount of metalic debris nothing big more like filings.

I don't know if I should replace the converter or use the original.

mangus580

Personally, I would inspect the welds on the snout, and the threads of the holes bolting it to the flex plate. If you had broken bolts, and a broken flex plate, these could be suspect.

ralbelt

One bolt was broken in the converter, one in the cab with the inspection plate when I got it from GL, the other 4 missing, the flex plate was not broken but the holes were elongated.
I have not driven this yet, so I'm not sure about the trans, nothing big was in the pan and the fluid was not burnt, 60,000 miles so I'm thinking of putting it back in as is. I do value your input,Thank you.

Rock_Solid

I would invest in a new parts store replacement flexplate for 80 bucks, and like mangus says, inspect the converter. Also invest in a tranny jack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks