• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Turbo Questions

TVOLLMER

I am in the process of installing a turbo kit on my m1008, and was thinking of using the oil lines already supplied for the oil sample/cooler lines. Has anybody done this? Will it work?

Keith_J

Plenty of pressure, even off the return line. The return should be cooler which is better for the turbocharger oil supply. Remember, the turbine side is hot, the oil also helps cool the center bearing.

TVOLLMER

Can I just add the turbo the circuit? Meaning pressure line to turbo- turbo to return line. this would be very easy to do beiing that the lines are already close to the turbo.

TVOLLMER

the turbo inlet is fed from the back of the head , as per banks directions. Witch is the same place the oil cooler/sampler line is coming from. Last time i cracked it, it had pressure. So why would it matter how the oil is returned? maybe I am missing something. If the system should not be pressurized then how is the oil getting to the turbo? Does the turbo make its own vacuum?

Dave87

Right there is pressure at the heads and threw the feed line as well but once it gets in the Turbo there's a pressure drop. If you pressurized the Turbo and the return you'll blow out the seals in the Turbo and dump oil into the intake and exhaust sides of the Turbo.you don't need alot of oil to feed the Turbo. You'll end up with a 1/4 inch feed line and a 3/4 return.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes the seals or lack there of.
Diesel turbochargers do lack a secondary sealing for the oil side, simply because diesel engines do not produce vacuum. I can assure you however that the oil supply line IS very much so pressurized.

bearboley

The way I read your post is that you want to supply the oil to the turbo by tapping into the oil cooler line and returning into the other oil cooler line where it returns into the block. This will only half work you can supply the turbo with the oil cooler line but since there is no drop in pressure through the oil cooler your return side of your turbo will be pressurizied also and that will not work. The turbo does not circulate oil, the return oil from the turbo is just low pressur scavenged oil that leaks past the turbo center bearing.

TVOLLMER

OK. I understand, inlet ok to have pressure, return drian into pan.

Thanks guys. I will try to get some pics up. when I get working on it.

scottodog

I ran my feed line from the test port by the radiator overflow runs great. Checked the return hose from the turbo in a bucket and it had good flow. I had a 6 foot foot line made at the local kubota store for the feed line.