• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Turn Signal Problems

MLuper7

I was wondering what would cause my turn signals to blink slowly when my headlights are on? Also once i turn my lights on the blinker arrows in my dash stay on. My CUCV was converted to 12V from the guy I bought it from and it all looks legit. Anyone in here have any issues like mine?

There are two diodes on the back of the fuse block under the dash. These are located behind the the location where the flasher, and hazard breakers plug into the fuse block. Often, the are wrapped in what looks to be gray duct tape.
Be advised that if one of the diodes is faulty, it can be extremely hot, and will remove flesh.

Check them with a multi-meter. One that is bad, can cause the symptoms you describe.

Download the TM manuals located here on the forum for the schematics, and the troubleshooting procedures.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself and several other members had this EXACT same problem. Start off with closely inspecting, or better yet, just replace the turn signal sockets with new ones. There is a metal tab on the inside of the socket that touches the side of the bulb. This is supposed to be sticking out into the socket and act with spring pressure on the side of the bulb to make a good ground connection. typically what happens after almost 30 years with a bulb in the socket, the spring tension is gone and the blade starts to crack right where it bends into the socket. New ones will eliminate this problem.

What happens is that the bulb is not getting a good enough ground. They will work somewhat with no lights on, but as soon as you turn on the headlights or the flashers, the ground path from the other bulbs has less resistance than the path the turn signal bulbs are supposed to take.

Also, clean up all of your grounds really well. They are located in various places in the trucks engine compartment. Some searching/reading on the site will turn up a thread with almost all of them listed and where they are at. This will help you in more than one way. You'll also learn some of the more common problems with your truck as well as solutions to them. This one is a very common problem

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue with mine several years ago. Broken contacts in the lamp sockets as speddmon described. Replaced them with new, and all is well.

MLuper7

Thanks again guys. I figured it out and it was the little metal tab inside the pigtail where the bulb twists into. That simple yet been FUBAR for almost two years now. Guys were telling me I needed a new steering column or control switch in the column. That's why I never got around to it.

scottladdy

Thanks again guys. I figured it out and it was the little metal tab inside the pigtail where the bulb twists into. That simple yet been FUBAR for almost two years now. Guys were telling me I needed a new steering column or control switch in the column. That's why I never got around to it.
A known weak point that ground in the bulb socket. You can buy replacement sockets and splice them in. Use a little heat shrink tubing over your soldered repair.

Rule of thumb, always check your grounds in vehicle wiring. Really weird things can occur as a result of bad grounds, defying "logic" at first blush in a lot of cases.

Glad you are all set now ...

MLuper7

A known weak point that ground in the bulb socket. You can buy replacement sockets and splice them in. Use a little heat shrink tubing over your soldered repair.

Rule of thumb, always check your grounds in vehicle wiring. Really weird things can occur as a result of bad grounds, defying "logic" at first blush in a lot of cases.

Glad you are all set now ...
I went and checked out Napa, O'Rielly's, and Car Quest and all the plugs were cheaply made and of coarse CHINA was stamped in big letters on the back. Not raciest but I want to try and keep most of my truck original. I bought it with only 7,000 miles on it so I'm hoping she lasts a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks