• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 urgent help needed

Xs10tial

Over the past couple weeks, my truck started making a rumbling noise at speeds over 40 mph similar to going over a rumble strip. When it started, I immediately pulled over and crawled under the truck to look for leaks. Didn't find any. And the noise stopped and has only occurred one other time since.

Yesterday, I was pulling my trailer 40 miles from home to go camping and the rumble/vibration became worse, louder and vibrated the whole truck.

I stopped each time it occurred (first time was 15-20 miles from home). I crawled under the truck this morning and took a closer look at the tranny and the part that connects the front and rear drive-shafts (torque converter? I don't know much about transmissions, sorry) and saw a drop of ATF at the bottom of the torque converter. I started the truck and when the idle kicked down, I checked the ATF level it was a little low, but still above the 'add 1 pt' line. I drove 3 miles to the nearest store, and checked it again and it was a little lower (to be expected as it was warmer). Also, the truck made the same vibration noise during the ride there intermittantly (I stopped each time). I threw 1/2 of Dextron-III in and drove about 5 miles. The truck made the noise as soon as I got up to speed, but stopped before I had a chance to pull over. I drove back to the campground without incident, and checked the ATF level, and it was a little over full, foamy and milky with bubbles in it.

I don't want to do more damage to the truck, but I don't want to be stuck here, either.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? If there's a quick fix, I do have tools with me.

Will I be able to make it home with the trailer? Will the truck make it home, and I should either store the trailer here, or have a buddy come and get it?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel bearing or Universal Joint maybe? What you are calling the torque converter, is most likely the Transfer Case.

I have no idea where OCMD is, so I may be on the other side of the world from you. (one of the reasons the rules ask for your state) If your in another country, I still don't know where OCMD is, sorry.

When is the last time you greased your U-joints? When is the last time you serviced your wheel bearings?

BlueToes

cracked out flex plate can make a good rumble too. actually had one that was broke all the way around, but would still drive down the road unless gave to much throttle, then would open up and make awfull noises.

not sure the rear end insides, but had the pin that goes thru spider gears slip out a bit, and the end rubbed inside rear pumpkin every now and then, till it hooked up solid one time. was on different truck, but something to check if can't find anything else.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had a situation like that and it was the universal joint. That would be a quick easy cheap first place to start and then go to the other stuff.

Xs10tial

Wow, thanks for all the replies, folks. I checked the U joints by both front wheels, and it looks like the left one is leaking. Can anyone tell me how to fix it, or should I just replace the whole thing?

Pic is attached for reference, I cleaned out some of the much with a stick.

OCMD is Ocean City, Maryland but I'm currently in Quakertown, PA.

Thanks again, fellas!

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A leak there(in your picture) is more likely to be the axle seal, not the U-Joint. Is it oily, or greasy?

With your front hubs unlocked and in 2WD, your front drive axles should not be turning. If your thinking that's where your vibration is coming from. That's if your hubs are working properly.

If you have done no PM, it's time to when you get home. When you grease a dry or bad U joint, often you will see the rust or crap, come out of the joint seals, as you load it with fresh grease. It's a good indication of where a problem U joint is.

Last edited:

Xs10tial

It's greasy. Not liquid like oil. I'll take it apart in the AM and see what it looks like.

Thanks again!

justinwregier

Wheel bearing issues can make sounds like a rumble as well as "drag" the truck to one side of the road while driving...
A good sign that the wheel bearing is bad would be to check the axle seals (as mentioned already) for leaking lubricant as well checking the wheel hubs for heat. If you have any heat at all thats friction... friction leads to damage 2cents

I drove a wheel bearing gone bad so far that the axle seal blew out, the axle rotated at an angle and shredded the diff gears really bad. I say all this because if you are set on driving and it is a wheel bearing, that continued abuse could lead to bigger problems. I would take the time to check all the hubs with the wheels off just to be sure the axle seals are not blown out...

Last edited:

bronconut

jack up the vehicle and look for play at all four wheels and also spin each wheel and listen and feel for any roughness, unless you have hubs locked in or trans-case in 4whl your front axle u-joints should not affect you this way, did you check your fluid level in transfer case.

Xs10tial

Follow up:

I took it apart, and it looks like the manual hub was trying to lock in. There were some filings in there, so I blew them out, PB blasted it and greased it up. Put it back together, and tightened up the hub lock so I should be able to make it home. I'll change the hubs this week.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

OL AG '89

Could be a tire coming apart.....
I've had tires that looked brand new start acting funky at speed, I went through everything mechanical and finally convinced my wif e to drive the truck while I followed and circled her looking at each corner to figure what was going on.....
It was real obvious until about 25 - 30 mph but from the follow I could see the front right tire "wobbling".... not shaking and not bouncing..... I took the thing to the tire shop and asked them to rebalance the tires.....
they got to the right one and almost tore apart their balancer when it came up to speed.

broke the tire down and saw the tire coming "unlaminated" from the inside out.......

give it shot....

Xs10tial

If anyone has the original M1008 locking hub(s) available, I'm in the market. I HATE the look of the warns.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original hubs ARE Warn.

48cj2a

Take the lockouts off and scuff them with sand paper and repaint them gloss black or OD. New Dana 60 premium Warn lockouts are not cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks