• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 VS M1028 for Fuel Ecconomy?

hotbox

That's right. I never carry alot of weight. I use it as a shop truck, everyday. Don't need to worry about smoking the turbo 400 tranny. I have other large trucks for heavy loads. The axle swap is cheap if you already have them. The object is to have a daily driver on WVO. No fuel expense!

rickf

Until winter when it will not run because the fuel turns solid. I am surprised it is running straight WVO. 6.2's do not generally like to run on anything but clean diesel.

Rick

hotbox

Winter here is mild. I have run straight WVO at 40 degrees no problem. I also added a filter/ heater to reduce the viscosity. When it gets cold i cut the wvo 70/30. All four of my diesels run well on WVO. Diesel is an engine design, first. The first engine Mr. Diesel designed ran on Veggie Oil, because "diesel fuel" was not invented yet.

rickf

I would love to even have access to it. There are reports of people stealing it from restaurant holding tanks. You have to have all kinds of permits to handle, move and store it here in NJ now. I was going to get them but now that people are charging for the waste oil I said the heck with it. The price of everything involved came to way more than straight diesel fuel. So much for going green, all involved want to line their pockets with green to let you go green.

Rick

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me help you boys out

View attachment 342111

that's MY M1028A2 towing MY M1009 from Ft Riley, KS to Denver, CO with a medium tow bar

I've also towed the M1009 from Denver to San Angelo, Texas

And ALL AROUND the DFW area

ZERO PROBLEMS, ever

mpg is 10 mpg because I'm towing 5700 lbs of weight

I DO NOT SPEED. I'M VERY CAREFUL. And I ALWAYS give right of way to ANY BODY ELSE. Both vehicles are box stock and have been carefully maintained.

hope that helps

hotbox

We have a little of the stealing WVO here too. I get it from 3 Restaurants. They get paid for it here and turn it to chicken feed or something. You just have to beat the bushes. It was illegal here but someone sued the state and won! You can make it and use it but not sell it. Because of the road tax thing. The government says they want to go green, until it takes taxes out of their kitty. I have huge tanks on all my trucks and haven't bought fuel in years!

Keith_J

Rebuilt injection pumps are $400. Injector set is about the same. Even at $4 a gallon, that will buy you 3000 miles of diesel in a CUCV.

I'd rather use the right fuel than have to replace the fuel system.

We towed my M1031 from WI to TX at an average of 13.2 MPG. And with full AC in the tow vehicle at 60-65 MPH.

islandguydon

Let me help you boys out

View attachment 342111

that's MY M1028A2 towing MY M1009 from Ft Riley, KS to Denver, CO with a medium tow bar

I've also towed the M1009 from Denver to San Angelo, Texas

And ALL AROUND the DFW area

ZERO PROBLEMS, ever

mpg is 10 mpg because I'm towing 5700 lbs of weight

I DO NOT SPEED. I'M VERY CAREFUL. And I ALWAYS give right of way to ANY BODY ELSE. Both vehicles are box stock and have been carefully maintained.

hope that helps
I agree with wallew, especially on the "ALWAYS give right of way to ANY BODY ELSE" ..Tip.

BTW, I aspire to one day own a dually as nice as yours. Good looking truck man..![thumbzup][thumbzup]

hotbox

I have been running WVO for 5 years. The only problem is when you first switch over you need to change the fuel filter a few times. The WVO cleans the carbon and build up from the tank, injectors and combustion chamber. WVO is the right fuel for all my trucks. I save $25,000 a year by using Clean WVO! Oh, and it contains about the same amount of energy per gallon with far less emissions. I only use a 70/30 mix when it gets very cold. You keep paying and I will keep driving past gas stations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks