• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 w/37" Humvee tires: highway cruising speed?

smokeeater495

With the stock wheels and tires on my M1008 I comfortable keeping it a t 55 mph on the interstate for extended periods. I'm wanting to utilize the truck for longer trips and want to increase the highway cruising speed. For those out there with 37" tires on their CUCV's, how many mph's did you gain at the same rpm?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
9 mph increase.

goldneagle

Yep I get 64 to 65 MPH with the 37" HMMWV tires. Truck is a bit sluggish accelerating from 0 but does ok once you pick up some RPMs. Just had mine dome last month.

Attachments

Skinny

I don't find my obese M1031 sluggish all things considered. I think if you want to retain as much driveability and don't want to run oversized heavy tires I personally would go to an NV4500 and keep the 4.56 gears. Gets you deep gears for utility but an overdrive on the highway. You could do something like a 3.07/3.55 gear swap but you still have the lathargic TH400 which kills fuel economy, still have no OD, saps power, and a gear swap is pretty pricey for not much gain other than a low cruise rpm.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just added 37's a couple of months ago, my GPS shows a 8 mile per hour difference at 55MPH, and I can't tell any sluggishness at low speeds. And now that the death wobble is tamed I can actually drive it over 25!

DSCN0261.jpg

Last edited:

Gripy

37" circumference is around 20% more than the 31" stock tire. so when you were going 50mph you'll now go 60mph (or something like that
:shrugs:

84 Blue Beast

Guys new to the site. I have an 84 cucv want to put 37" humvee rims and tires. Tried today and found out the front tire did not fit as it appeared the offset was too deep and hit the suspension. My question is do you do to have them fit?

Thank you!

Skinny

I would recommend searching to see what others have done since this is very common.

Broken down, you have a few options some better than others depending on your needs and budget.
-spacers
-recenter the hummer rim
-DRW hubs for the axle

goldneagle

I used 2" spacers with a 4" lift kit in order to use the HMMWV tires and rims on the front. See my M1008 thread for more details.

Skinny

I don't have HMMWV rims, just the tires. Goldneagle confirmed that setup on his rig so I would take his word for it. A word of caution when purchasing spacers...well...use caution when purchasing spacers.

bushhawg73

I have a set of Goodyear MTR's and a set of BFG Baja TA's. Both 37 X 12.50 X 16.5. I love them, they make the truck look so much better than the little stock tires. I had the option of using the HMMWV wheels and declined due to the need to modify or use spacers. I purchased 16.5 X 9 3/4 steel wheels that have a 4 1/2 inch backspacing, 90.00 a piece. I believe the stock wheels have a 4 inch backspacing. My truck has a 2 1/2 inch lift and the fenders are slightly trimmed (wish I had not done that BUT I was younger and dumber then LOL.) If the suspension articulates just a little bit I get fender rub so I will be getting some taller springs soon but for now I love the look and ride.

mx599

I am trying to research larger tires for my CUCV and I am getting overwhelmed lol

Can anyone steer me right? I am searching and trying to find prior threads.

One quick question, I don't really want to lift the truck but want the larger tires. I don't want to trim the fenders. It looks like the rear fits? Is it possible to just do a very small body lift to clear the tires? Aren't there "puck" like body and bed lifts? Are there any slightly smaller set-ups like 35" or 36" tires that would squeeze in with no elaborate mods??

If no way around but to lift, what is the minimum lift to get the 37" to fit? 1"? 2"?

Lastly, I see a company, Hutchinson I believe, that has aluminum rims that look like the steel military wheels. Do you guys know if these are available to the public? Is there another company? I wanted the stock look with Aluminum...or maybe that is a stupid idea.

If anyone has some quick basic answers at least it would give me a starting point in my searches on this forum

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks