• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 w/700r4 problems

TVOLLMER

I recently installed a built 700r4 in my M1008 and am loving it! The problem I have is that when shifting from 2nd to 3rd there is a slight delay. All the talk about having the tv cable properly adjusted is making me question how I set it up. Could it be an adjustment? All other shifts feel good even with a load on. Any help would be great.

eric_banks32

What do you mean by delay? Does it stay in second to long? Does it free rev? Does it "slip"? Do you have the right governor and tc? The tv adjustment is made by pushing in the D shaped retainer and pushing the adjuster all the way in. Then put the fuel pedal to the floor and it adjusts itself(might feel stiff at the pedal).

TVOLLMER

It sounds more like a free wheel for a very short time then it hooks right up like it shoud normally shift. I adjusted the tv cable as per most instructions like you described, but it didnt shift right. I tightend up the cable 2 notches and it shifts nice and firm and at the right time (Yes it had the right gov. put in) except from second to third. This tranny was in a m1009 before I got it and it shifted perfectly, no slipping or delays at the shift points. It leads me to believe I have a tv adjustment problem. The trans only has about 10k on it.

wayne pick

I had the same problem with my trans. The starting point for the adjustment is with the cable pushed all the way back towards the firewall. Then open the throttle all the way to the floor as eric said above, you might hear a click, you might not. Thats the cable setting it self in the adjuster. Now test drive and make adjustments accordingly. If the shifts are long and drawn out- over revving, or the shifts bang, you will have to readjust the cable in small increments of only a click or two. The proper way to adjust shift points is to bring your truck to a good trans shop and have them measure the line pressure and adjust it that way. Depending on how heavily the rebuild was and the type of shift kit and clutches that were installed, you might have to go with a shorter TV cable, I did. A built 700R4 should shift like a TH400 with one more gear, Nice firm shifts. Good luck.

Skinny

Unless you do a full hydraulic pressure test and possibly a minor teardown, you will never find the problem. I just got done with a student at school that was having a 700r4 shift flare issue. It would have a long delayed shift into between a few gears and would flare the rpms's if the throttle was high.

He took it to someone for a rebuild because we were swapping 4.3 to 5.7 engines. Turns out that one of the accumulator pistons which is responsible for controlling hydraulic pressure during shifts to certain clutches/brakes was worn on one side causing a leak. This was keeping the overdrive clutch from engaging firmly. Never slipped in gear, just had a weak shift.

I would say if you can't solve the issue by TV adjustment or inspecting pressures...yank it out and have a pro go through it. For the money you will invest in that versus trying to screw with it, it will be money well spent.

eric_banks32

It doesn't sound like a tv issue to me. It sounds like an internal issue like skinny is saying. Something is letting pressure by or not letting fluid by as quick as it is supposed to.

wayne pick

I was just explaining the TV cable adj as a baseline start off point. If the TV cable was not adjusted properly, or it had the wrong cable on it for 10K miles, the trans is more than likely toast or damaged, 10K miles on a HD rebuild or not. I spent nearly $1800 on rebuilding my trans. It was toast. As it turned out the PO had the wrong TV cable in it. Once I installed the right cable and adjusted it, no more 2/3 flair. Nobody asked, myself included if he had a torque converter lockup controller. Also transgo has a lockup kit that can be installed in the valve body. Transgo part# 700LU

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks