• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 w/83,000miles Good To Buy??

derek98z28

i found a 1984' m1008 for $2500 but with 83,xxx miles....how long do these 6.2s last without havin to worry alot about parts going out?

Matt65

With maintenance I have seen several hundred k on the 6.2s. What they don't hold up to is excessively high RPM for too long. The truck CUCVs were never meant to run 70 down the interstate. 4.56 gears with no OD puts the engine speed sky high.

85CUCVtom

Make sure you check the harmonic balancer. The 6.2L had issues with them and some people don't know that so they never get checked and/or replaced. It can cause cracks in the block when worn out.

Exactly.
Othrwise, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Is there rust or other noticable damage?

If you go check it out, try and make sure it's a cold start. Watch for any kind of excessive smoke on start up or under load. The cooling systems can be one area of concern. People tend to not take care of their cooling system in any car, and on old diesels in particular it can be a problem. Check the coolant and oil for signs of cross contamination and poor maintenance. Watch for fuel leaks, they can cause starting problems on diesels.

I think one of the bigger problems with CUCV's are the injection pumps. Most people end up replacing them at some point. All the rubber bits get dried out from sitting around and modern ultra-low sulfer diesel isn't too kind on them.
A lot of other seals, gaskets, and hoses end up drying out from sitting too.

Be sure and check out the electrial system too. That can be the, hands down, most problematic part of the truck. Between corrosion and dryed out insulation and previous owners not knowing how to properly repair wires or trying to rewire or reinvent the system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has 100,000+ and runs great. My burb has a factory 6.2 with 250,000 on it, still runs great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks