• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 - What Exhaust?

1stgear

My exhaust is pretty shot and I was thinking about having a new system run from the headers back. Any preferences? Anyone ever run FLOMASTERS on a CUCV? I thought maybe running 3" inlet/outlet flo's - would this work?

1stgear

Thanks for the link!

Here's the info I was looking for -
before i left on vacation i replaced the pipes on the m-1010.a local muffler shop made complete dual exaust from scratch.i went with duals without a crossover,in 2.5 inch diameter.as mentioned,any bigger is a waste of money.the stock 6.2 simply dosn't flow enough exaust to justify a larger pipe.Mufflers are a tough choice...lots of people who go with flowmasters complain of a drone.i think they chose a muffler thats too small.

i think the largest size you can fit would be best.i went with a 70 series r/v flowmaster.two of these will give plenty of flow,and i noticed very little change in the cab sound level...certainly louder,but no irritating droning.i do,however,have the ambulance body to absorb some noise.Your neighbors will really notice...the flowmasters will give your 6.2 a healthy sound.really healthy.

When your done that,the next gain to be had is the intake...imop, anything that will give you a cold air intake is best.it dosn't have to be very big...the standard gm punch-plate location in the core support,is more than big enough.this is assuming you can engineer a way past the batteries.I really notice a dfference when the under hood air temp gets to hi...things get really sluggish on a hot summers day.i intend to move my batteries to the back of the truck to make room.

exaust...

in addition to the post above...i'm now thinking of adding a crossover.the reason being,with single pipes on each side,you seem to get a "popping" on hard throttle.
it's not objectionable,really...just not my personal preference.the drone people refer to is that low pitched buzz that drives you nuts and penetrates all maner of sound deadening....i don't get that at all.

the way it is now,it sounds a lot like a harley with open pipes.(at least on one side or the other)the crossover should allow the exaust pulses to balance out...making a more mellow,less pop/crackly sound.

this all boils down to personnal preference,of course.the good thing is that a crossover is fairly easy to add later.just have to put it in the right spot...which could take a little experimenting.

just a hint...ask around to find a good shop,assuming your not doing the work yourself.the shop i used fabbed both pipes from the headers back,including new hangers and a hand built wiggle around the np-205,in just under 5 hours.just simple galvanised steel pipes.just one guy,with no helpers.he also stripped out the old exaust.a good exaust shop makes all the difference.

AJMBLAZER

RE: exaust...

Gibson makes a 3" single exhaust for this body style truck with the small block gas V8's. I'm contemplating using it when mine gets to crusty to be worth fixing. A single 3" will flow better than a dual 2.5". Over on the 6.2-6.5 diesel page a guy mentioned that the dual exhausts meant for SBC gas trucks bolt right up to the 6.2L manifolds so that got me thinking I could use a SBC Y pipe and some extra pipe to join that with the single 3" system.

Not a fan of Flowmasters. Overpriced and there's better flowing alternatives out there. I really like Magnaflow's stuff. Straight through performance trumps baffles and chambers any day.

RE: exaust...

:ditto: I looked at Flowmasters for my Grand Marquis, they all sound the same and they are all over $60 a piece, I just went with straight pipes, sounds better anyways and not too loud. Sorry off topic.
Back on: I have the mufflers cut off on my 1008 a little to loud in the cab, need a full exhaust. I considered glasspacks (I know AJM has Cherrybombs on his) i think they sound pretty good....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpkQ-CYiTG0

AJMBLAZER

Maremont, the makers of Cherry Bombs, make a model that is a virtual bolt in. Well, with my rust it involved a sawzall, cut off wheel, and some band clamps but it wasn't a truly hard job. Couple hours in the garage last spring. The part numbers are on my CarDomain site which is available through the www button below my posts.

Re: RE: exaust...

CCATLETT1984 said:
that poping sound is normal for a diesel, i dont think that a crossover will get rid of that noise.
I believe an x-pipe would help the popping a little. They smooth/mellow the tone making it less raspy (at least on gassers). And h-pipe however would not, they only balance the sound. Also, if you have ever have an x-pipe put in a car, have a muffler shop do it. It is so much cheaper than buying a prefabbed one.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: exaust...

Is there even room under these things for an X pipe?

Regardless it's been proven time and again that a single 3" will flow better than a dual 2.5". Less surface drag inside of the pipes.

RE: Re: RE: exaust...

I'm sure there is room. I have one on my Mercury. I suppose it's just finding space w/o interference.
Yeah for this application a single 3 inch would flow better, but as it's been said before 6.2 don't flow too much.

AJMBLAZER

Well...I look at it this way:

If I'm going through the effort and expense to have a custom system made with mandrel bends and all...might as well get the one that flows better, costs less, and takes up less space...which would be the single 3".

There's a reason none of the Big 3's diesels come with dual exhaust, Banks made their kit for these trucks with a single 3" exhaust, and almost every performance diesel exhaust kit on the market is a single, mandrel bent pipe.

Crash_AF

AJMBLAZER said:
There's a reason none of the Big 3's diesels come with dual exhaust, Banks made their kit for these trucks with a single 3" exhaust, and almost every performance diesel exhaust kit on the market is a single, mandrel bent pipe.
And that reason is because there's only one turbo outlet so they can either do big single or make a reverse Y to do the duals.

Of course, I'm not going to get into the nice crimps that the factory puts in the downpipes though...

Later,
Joe

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, but again, it's been proven time and time again that a single 3" will outflow dual 2.5's any day...so what reason other than aesthetics recommends duals?

AJMBLAZER

Hell, I could barely tell the difference between the stock mufflers and the cherry bombs!

A friend had dual Flowmaster 40 series on his 6.2L K10 but then again that truck had things like sound proofing, highway gears, and carpeting. He said he could really tell the difference in sound and a lot of people thought it was a lopey big block. However in mine all I can hear is the engine rattling away.

Then again I think Flowmasters are overpriced junk so...not my choice.

Agreed on that point too. I just have the mufflers hacked under the cab. (I got over-excited with a sawzall one day) It does sound just like a big-cammed big block by the exhaust but still a ratting oil burner up at front. I need to go to Autozone soon to find some Cherrybombs!!
(P.S.- Thanks AJM for putting all the info about which Cherry to get and sizes and stuff on your cardomain. I'm glad I don't have to trial and error my mufflers)

AJMBLAZER

Well...it's still a bit of a hack job and trial and error. Luckily I have a 3rd vehicle as mine involved two seperate 20 mile trips into town within 2 hours of each other to pick up clamps and then band clamps.

Rust is a SOB.

Haha yeah, just less of a trial and error in this case. I have also forgotten clamps many times, once on sunday afternoon...every place was closed and I had to drive around with a leaky exhaust for a day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks