• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Wheel/Tire upgrade

bshupe

I would like to upgrade the tires/wheels on an M1008. I want to keep the whole thing on the stock-ish side so no big mudders or anything like that just a great set of non-flashy steel rims and good A/T tires.

Thanks!

Disciple

OH COME ON! Just throw a minor little 4" lift under it and a set of 37" HMMWV wheels and tires. Guarantee you'll love it! You can actually get up to 62 MPH comfortably too, then!

Abbylind

I added a 4" lift after driving it for 10 years stock. The lift and the HMMWV wheels and tires are worth it. Rides and drives much better and I can actually PASS someone on the interstate!

My 2cents

762luver

I run Goodyear DuraTracs on my Jeep. When its time or I can' stand it any more, a set will be going under my '09. This will be after the axle swap of course.

Good Luck!

bshupe

Looking for more specifics

I added a 4" lift after driving it for 10 years stock. The lift and the HMMWV wheels and tires are worth it. Rides and drives much better and I can actually PASS someone on the interstate!

My 2cents

Do you happen to have any additional information on the changes you made? Parts, suppliers, costs.... photos etc? Or maybe an idea of where there is additional information about what you did, threads on SS or elsewhere?

Sorry to be such a noob but Im just at the beginning of this journey and only want to do what is proven to actually be an upgrade not just a change and detailed information about the who, what, where, how.... well I just cant stop asking for them.

Thanks for your consideration.

ehuppert

Just installed 285 75 16 Duratracs on my 08. Despite some of the tirerack reviews I'm very happy with them! The duratracks are a tad taller (33.1) than most of the 285's (32.8). Heve only had a few minor snowfalls this year, but these tires have excellent grip and ride pretty decent for this aggressive of a tire. Running these on the stock rims which are a little narrow but didn't cause any wear issues on the last set of same size tires.

Only clearance issue was the drag link end, adjust the steering stop bolt and you're good!

Eric

OLDCHEV4X4

I put Goodyear Duratrac's on my M1008. 265/75 R16 10 ply. They have a little over 4,000 miles on them and so far so good. They are a little wider than stock, but the same height as stock, and are on the original 6.5" wide wheels.

Attachments

medicus

What about Firestone Dueler A/T Revo2? Those are supposed to be badass tires, though expensive. How would 285/75's work on stock 16x6.5 rims? Any bead or tread wear issues?

MilChevyguy

....do the HMMWV Hummer 8 bolts fit? I thought our trucks had a standard GM 8 bolt pattern from...like a million years ago!!!

Anyone know what new set HMMWV tires go for now ?? Should fit the stock 16.5 rims too I am guessing (searching SS NOW)

bkwudzhom

IIRC the M1008/M1009 have 16 inch rims. The hummer has 16.5. However all Ford/Chevy/Dodge one tons had 16.5 eight lug rims that will work and easy to find. The white ones I found (local pull-a-part) are gonna get hit with the sand blaster then some flat black and wrapped with some hummer take-offs.

MarcusOReallyus

Check out the General AT Grabbers. Great reviews all over the Internet, and a lot cheaper than Goodrich or Goodyear. I'm getting a set for my Cherokee.

Also check out the Treadwrights. Again, great reviews. Can't get them to fit my Cherokee or I'd have pulled the trigger already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks