• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 will not turn over/crank

ssgtwright-usmc

Today I tried to start my M1008 and it was cranking over but then nothing.
I have read other posts here on the starter so I followed the ideas, changed out the starter relay with Napa part AC40, checked my batteries and they are fully charged, checked the connections and ect.
I even tried to jump/bypass the starter relay (purple and red wires) and still nothing.
Lights on dash works, when I try to crank it over all I get is a clicking sound from the starter relay and nothing else.
I do have power going to the starter so can it be a bad starter solinoid?
Any ideas here?
Truck is fully charged but the starter is not turning over and all the dash lights work but I do have a clicking sound from the starter relay even with the new one which I never heard before when the truck did start.

ssgtwright-usmc

Just wondering if it is normal for the starter relay to make a clicking sound for each time I turn the key?
Did I not hear the click sound before because the engine was turning over before so that I would not have heard any clicking sound?
I replaced it today with Napa part AC-40 and it still makes the click sound.
I also saw here that Napa part AR135 will also work.
I did try to bypass the relay by use of a jump wire from the red to purplr wire but nothing. Lights on dash would come on when turning the key but nothing else.
Could it be a bad starter and if so, how else can I test the starter?
Did buy a new starter last year from Checkers and it is under a life-time warranty so I will change out the starter next.
Anywhere else I should?
I am more confused about the clicking sound from the starter relay from both the old and new one.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hear the relay and or solenoid clicking and the starter is not turning, and everything else is working, and you've checked the connections, then I suspect a bad starter. Remove it and have it checked.

Last edited:

beaubeau

Be sure the Starter is Tight and secured. I have gone to change starter and fount the starter Bolts Loose, which will cause starter to Bind. Be sure to replace the End Support, if it is even there. # out of 3 that I have had, did not have the support. The ARMY is TOO lazy to replace them . Phil

ssgtwright-usmc

Well, My new replacement starter should be arriving today so I hope this is the only problem.
I have called Chevrolet and other parts stores for the starter support bracket (14028931) and Island Chevrolet told me that Chevrolet does not carry the brackets anymore.
I saw a post here where someone just bought one from a Chevrolet dealer for $3.04.
Does anyone have a bracket for sale or willing to buy one and I pay for the cost of bracket and shipping and handling plus a few extra dollars for helping out?

dependable

If you bought a gear reduction starter, bracket is not essential. But it is important to use on original non gear reduction starter. it is the same bracket as civilian, there was a tread here recently about making or getting the bracket.

ssgtwright-usmc

Its a gear reduction starter and replaced yesterday. Works like a charm. Now I need to get 8 new 12v Glow plugs and I think she will start running like a champ again. Just need to find some great 12v glow plugs and not the cheap (last 4-6 month) glow plugs.
Any recommendation on great 12v glow plugs????

papercu

Why 12v glow plugs
Thought they all was 12v but have 24v going to them, that's why when one or two go bad the rest will go fast because of the increase in voltage? The replacements use to be 11g (?) which is 12v. Wayne

mangus580

Thought they all was 12v but have 24v going to them, that's why when one or two go bad the rest will go fast because of the increase in voltage? The replacements use to be 11g (?) which is 12v. Wayne
True... Just when most people refer to a 12v plug, they are referring to plugs for a 12v conversion system, which is slightly different than the plug for the stock system. Hence why I asked, i want to make sure I point him in the right direction.

ssgtwright-usmc

When I bought the truck from my ex brother-in-law, he or someone else who owned the truck tried to convertit from the 24 volt system to a 12 volt system.
The thing they never did was change out the glow plugs and the starter when they did the 24v to 12v conversion.
The engine wiring looks like spaghetti from them doing splices into most wires.
I would love to have it back to 24v but I cant find the original engine wiring harness that has not been spliced into.
I have so far collected the 24v battery terminals for the batteries.
The wiring under the hood looks like Michael Myers took his blade to it.
I am looking for the original glow-plug harness and alternater wiring harness that are intact so I can convert back to 24v.
Untill then, I have to live with what I got for the time being.

ssgtwright-usmc

I know the glow plugs are bad just by the way it starts. White smoke in the exaust, hard starting and all fluids are full.
I have read here that a wire to the glow plug relay is wrong in the TM.
What color wire is it and what side should that wire be on on the glow plug relay?

Crash_AF

If it's the wire I'm thinking about, it's a small orange wire from the control harness to the relay. The TM is wrong about where this wire goes, it is supposed to go on the glow plug side of the relay, not the resistor side. The TM has it backwards.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks