• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 will run and then shut off

84cucv1ton

Originally I thought it was pulling air for somewhere. Truck sat for a while it seemed to drain back and I would have a harder time starting. Found a leaky injection pump line. Took off the intake tightened up the line. Intake gaskets were not sealed at all so that could a big problem. Replaced the fuel filter assembly with another one. New rubber hose everywhere I can. Started fine the other day. Seem to have this surge to it. Eventually this thing just Shut off. I have tomorrow off so I hope to get back on this. Any ideas? seems like I took care of one problem and found another one. As always thanks[thumbzup]

Last edited:

cucvrus

Did you just change the Injection pump?
(Quote) Intake gaskets were sealed good all so that could a big problem. ? Is this just mis-worded?
It will run with out the intake on it as you know. Just block the EGR holes on the heads. Hard to diagnose over the internet.

evldoer

My m1008 did the same thing. Surging, and suddenly just shut off. It turned out to be the fuel line under the cab. It developed a small pin hole where it rubbed on the bottom of the cab. It was on the passenger side where the line crosses from the fuel tank to the passenger side frame rail. Might be worth a quick look.

Iceman3005

Fuel filter base can crack causing a surge or no start, also the fuel heater probe seal could be bad or the fuel probe itself could have a crack in it. The STCE sensor on the fuel filter has an o-ring on it that could have failed, or the plastic fuel purge screw could have a crack. Mine had a slight surge to it for years, finally figured out that almost all of the above was bad with my filter base, changed the base and all the o-rings, plus the fuel heater probe, surging gone and it started a lot easier.

cucvrus

My m1008 did the same thing. Surging, and suddenly just shut off. It turned out to be the fuel line under the cab. It developed a small pin hole where it rubbed on the bottom of the cab. It was on the passenger side where the line crosses from the fuel tank to the passenger side frame rail. Might be worth a quick look.
I have seen this several times. it is the metal line that has a hole worn through it. I was amazed the first time. Covered in diesel fuel every time after that. The fix is easy replace the metal lines and add rubber on the outside to prevent it from happening again.

dstang97

My truck did the same . It was a bad fuel pump draining back. I put on a $20'ebay check valve and it has been fine since.

84cucv1ton

Yes that was a mistake. The intake was not sealed good at all. Didn’t change the injection pump. Took the intake off to tighten up the lines. Will check the fuel shut off. Hope to hear that click so I know its good. I will check the fuel line under the cab. Never thought of it. Where can I get new fuel filter base without that one sensor? Had a bunch I bought years ago. All gone now. The check valve is in the top cover of the injection pump? Has that hose on it? Thanks for the help guys. After my job interview. Get back to work on the truck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the interview!

Iceman3005

You can find the find the filter base and all the O-rings on ebay, as for the fuel heater probe you will have to purchase that from a Stanadyne dealer. Here is the part number 29090.

84cucv1ton

Just unburied my stanadyne FM100 fuel filter kit. Got mine from the seller on Colorado K5. Might as well put it to work. Going to do some searching. See how some you guys put it on. Any advice on how you Mounted it up at all let me know

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks