• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 with Behr Paint Question

Vet89

I started painting my truck to get it back to OD green and read these posts:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/66973-exterior-latex-acrylic-house-paints.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/65478-note-latex-house-paints.html

Great Info!

I used a Rustoleum spray paint and did the grill and bumper. After a couple days of cure, I took it to the car wash and had it hit with the sprayer - nothing came off!

I then started with the Behr paint and olive drab code used in the links above.

I brushed the first coat and rolled the 2nd. Looks great, but this morning, I rubbed the paint gently with my fingertips and got green fingers.

Is it that the paint needs more time to cure or should I put on a clear-coat of some kind?

Attachments

topgun217

I'm gonna bump this thread. I'm wanting to use the behr paint over existing carc and was wondering......can I just spray the behr on or do I need to sand lightly first? I thought I had read somewhere on this thread that the behr paint likes to stick to the carc so I assumed I could just spray on the behr. I also have access to a paint booth for heated drying but I was wondering if 30's temps would have an adverse affect.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinned down with water, search on Zouts project posts and you will get a lot of hints on his techniques.

Woodsplinter

I'm gonna bump this thread. I'm wanting to use the behr paint over existing carc and was wondering......can I just spray the behr on or do I need to sand lightly first? I thought I had read somewhere on this thread that the behr paint likes to stick to the carc so I assumed I could just spray on the behr. I also have access to a paint booth for heated drying but I was wondering if 30's temps would have an adverse affect.
The CARC definitely needs to be clean- free of dust and grease. I sanded my deuce down with 220 grit to remove the oxidized paint and to smooth the texture of the CARC so I could apply a semi-gloss finish. The paint needs to be kept in the temperature range specified on the can for at least 24-48 hours in order to cure properly. 30's would be very bad.

Heating will speed the cure process, but I've noticed here in Phoenix that Behr takes about 30 days to cure to full hardness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks