• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 with TOW System

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You’ll get attention that’s for sure.

Dang TOW wires were always a problem for us.
Can’t hardly see them and they wrap around control tubes,
etc really fast.

Sometimes on post flight, some guys would find remnants of TOW wire because we flew in an area
that didn’t have the TOW wire hazard marked on the main map.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's pretty cool. And it's interesting to see the range of vehicles in that video. There's 151's, CUCV's, and HMMWV's. Definitely early 80's. Wonder how many antennas were lost from them? I noticed the driver on the 151 quickly tied it down.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in a TOW battalion at Ft Lewis. We switched from M151 mounted TOWs to HMMWV TOWs around 1986. They were great until you had to ground mount them for an exercise and pack all the crap about 100 yards from the vehicle.

D6T

I was just an 11B at the time so I rarely had anything to do with the TOW, but I recall when we were playing the role of an armor-killer team going against OPFOR at Fort Drum, we had a HMMWV with a TOW in the bed. What I couldn't get over was how the whole thing was precariously stabilized (for lack of a better term) with steel cables tied down to all four corners of the bed as an afterthought. The TOW guys explained they had to do that as the truck needed it and otherwise the TOW pedestal thing could tilt. These were serious 1/2 inch thick braided steel cables like you see grounding a utility pole. It was difficult to move around the bed of the vehicle stepping over the cables and whatnot. I don't think that was common practice, I believe the unit made the cable arrangement.

MarcusOReallyus

I was in one of the first TOW classes at Ft. Carson in 1976. They were replacing the 106mm recoilless rifle. Ours were mounted on M113A1s. It was a pretty decent setup.

85CUCVtom

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gauge are TOW wires? I've always wondered how the wire stay attached under the force of the rocket.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
We had TOW's mounted in the back of M998's in Desert Storm. I think even in the back of the 4 seaters in that short bed. I have pics somewhere. Desert Storm hit when some of the units in Germany were converting from the older M113 infantry battalions to the M2/3 infantry battalions. The E company was the anti-armor in the 113 battalions. Each of the M901 Improved TOW Vehicles (ITV) had a dismount TOW also. Those were pulled when the ITV was turned in. They were sitting around awaiting turn=in at some units and some units took them to the desert.

Sergeant1983

I was in the 101st in DS and saw some old stuff. I had not seen an M113 or M16a1s in years. I think everyone that went to the sand box ended up with new stuff. We turned all our CUCVs in for Humvee's and M7 bayonets in for M9 Bayonets.

MarcusOReallyus

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gauge are TOW wires? I've always wondered how the wire stay attached under the force of the rocket.
I never thought about it in terms of gauge, but I know this: If you tried to break it in your hands, you'd cut your hands to ribbons.

The way it spools out the back, though, there's very little force applied to the wire. It comes out very easily.

Guyfang

Staff member
I was in a TOW battalion at Ft Lewis. We switched from M151 mounted TOWs to HMMWV TOWs around 1986. They were great until you had to ground mount them for an exercise and pack all the crap about 100 yards from the vehicle.
What year? I was in F co. 709th Maint. We did all the maint on Tow, Vulcan and Chaparral. This was in 1980.

Sergeant1983

Does anyone know the manual for working on a TOW missile? I was wondering if there is a way to manually retract the stabilizer fins.
This appears to be for maybe cranking?
image.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks