• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Won't Start - Clicks then tries to turn over but won't start

ssutton

So a day or so after I installed a lift on my 1985 m1008, I began to have this problem. I get in, turn the key and all I get is *click click click* over and over. I wait a little while, come back to try it again and the clicks are gone and it is slowly trying to turn over but it is sounds as if the batteries have died or are about to die. I did take the truck out this morning to get breakfast when it was cooler and it fired right up almost instantly, drove down to eat and then it started right back up again and I drive it home with no issues. It seems if I wait a while after it tries to turn over and come back, it will start just fine almost like it needs to cool down.

It happened again today so I tried to jump it but it had no effect. Any suggestions? I've searched around on here and can't find anything that sounds similar although it does seem like most people are blaming solenoids. It runs great once it gets started, no other issues. Thanks

This is the closest to what is happening to my truck http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...ing-on-how-long-it-has-previously-been-driven

If it is a solenoid, which one? How can I check or replace it?

Last edited:

ssutton

M1008 Won't Start-Clicks then tries to turn over but won't start

So a day or so after I installed a lift on my 1985 m1008, I began to have this problem. I get in, turn the key and all I get is click click click over and over. I wait a little while, come back to try it again and the clicks are gone and it is slowly trying to turn over but it is sounds as if the batteries have died or are about to die. I did take the truck out this morning to get breakfast when it was cooler and it fired right up almost instantly, drove down to eat and then it started right back up again and I drive it home with no issues. It seems if I wait a while after it tries to turn over and come back, it will start just fine almost like it needs to cool down.

It happened again today so I tried to jump it but it had no effect. Any suggestions? I've searched around on here and can't find anything that sounds similar although it does seem like most people are blaming solenoids. It runs great once it gets started, no other issues. The truck was converted to 12v about a year ago and all glow plugs were replaced around the same time and I believe the starter so it is hard to believe that either of those could be the issue. Thanks

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With today's manufacturing some starters are not even lasting a week.

Before starting ANY electrical troubleshooting always make sure your batteries are fully charged and load tested. Without knowing the battery condition you are just guessing. I have had batteries die overnight.

ssutton

If I do need to replace the starter, how do I know which one to buy as replacement without looking at the part number first since it has been converted to 12v? I would like to have all the parts needed before I start just in case the parts store needs to order it.

m1008chevy

Just ask for a starter for whatever year your truck is with a 6.2l diesel. Since you have converted to 12v, your starter is the same as a regular pickup of the same year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks