• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 WONT START

44CCKW

I have a 86 M1008 that was running fine yesterday,Today it wont start..It will turn over slowly,But only for a second or two then it acts as if the batteries are dead.All of the lights and the Fm radio work fine,Just no juice to start.Any ideas???

papercu

M1008

First you need to charge/check the batteries. They need a full charge to operate the glow plugs AND start the truck. Batteries can go at any time. Only one battery works the lights. Wayne

AJMBLAZER

RE: M1008

My thoughts exactly. Had something similar happen to both of mine this past spring. Just old age and sitting all winter with occasional starts did them in.

44CCKW

I was kind of hopeing that it was just a bad battery.The truck has a push button start installed,So the electrical wiring is a little messed up.But ive had no problems until now.Also why were talking about my truck,After it sits for a few days without starting it,It will start riht up but then it will stall right away as if it ran out of fuel.Then you have to hold the pedal to the floor and crank the hell out of it to start it again.What is this???

Somemedic

Air is getting into the fuel line system. check all rubber hoses and steel fuel lines for possible leaks, ie rust on the steel lines and dried/cracking rubber. Makes sure your water drain vlave is tightly shut and the filter is seated to the base.

Crash_AF

Sounds to me like the passenger's side alternator for the rear battery is not working or the rear battery is dying. Check it with a voltmeter and see if it has a good charge, and then when you get it started, check to see if it is charging. The rear battery's only job is to make 24 volts for the starting circuit, glow plugs and military communications gear so it can go a long time without being noticed that the passenger's side alternator isn't working right.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks