• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 - wrong thermostat housing?

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I've had an issue with my belt moving/bouncing enough that it is able to touch the bottom side of the top radiator hose to put some marks in it. Tried to take a couple pics of where its hitting and of the thermostat housing.
Where it bumps the hose it hasn't made a deep mark, but obviously it will eventually cause a leak. Belt is tight, just the normal amount of tension movement, about 1/2" up or down. I actually tightened it to try to stop/minimize this. For the time being, I actually took a couple large zip ties and was able to pull the hose up just a bit to stop the belt from bumping it. But I'd rather find a "proper" solution.

Seems like the thermostat housing should be at a 45 degree angle upward or something. Instead it just points straight out from the engine putting the hose down to close to the belt. Anyone know if this is the correct housing? Or if there is another thermostat housing alternative??

Thanks!

20210603_123110.jpg

20210603_123120.jpg

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, never knew there was supposed to be a guard there. Wouldn't have even thought about it. Will look and see if I can find a guard.
I may go ahead and replace the belt again. I replaced it once already, and it still looks basically new, not worn. but I've already got it pulled as far as it will go trying to keep it from touching.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a tin can or a piece of aluminum and use a second hose clamp to put a curved metal guard in place. You can fix that easily. And if t=you watch it only bounces up and hits that hose at idle and rapid deceleration. But yes the guard needs to be in place.
Hey Cucvrus [thumbzup] I actually had found and ordered the correct part (and a couple other things) on hillbillywizard.com before I saw your reply. But your suggestion would have worked just as well. After finding out there was supposed to be a guard there, I had considered just making something to shield the hose if I hadn't been able to find the correct clamp.
And yes I thought it was only bumping at idle (didnt think about during deceleration though, but makes sense), as I figured under load the belt would be taunt. And also the belt would have worn through the hose fairly quickly if it was bumping it all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks