• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008A1 Gets a Lift!

GamaGoatGirl

So Doghead and I have finally lifted my 1008A1. We got it finished today and took it for a 2 hour test drive! I love it!

We put a 4" Skyjacker Lift Kit for a 1987 1 ton on it. That kit came with everything including the correct hardware for the DANA 60 front end (4" springs) and corporate 14 bolt rear end (3.5" rear lift blocks) . Skyjacker gas shocks, swaybar drop kit, and a 4" drop drag link were also installed. All this was done to install 37" radial HUMVEE tires on stock type rims.

The end goal was to gain some road speed/ lower RPMs so I can drive it to work more frequently(90 miles each day). There was no interference with the on-road driving that I am planning on doing. We are totally happy with the fit and setup! (Now I just need a ladder to get in!) :)

Here are some "after the ride" pictures!

Doghead says thanks to those who offered information and advice prior to the installations. Thanks and much appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for reference the door sill height is now 30", the bed floor height is 42" and the top of the box sides is now 60".

I am not sure I like it. Time will tell. I need to install some steps soon.

Bighurt

I run the same meats on my Z71...they are a cheap solution for lifted rigs.

Looks great, been trying the to convince the wife I need a M1008...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, 16.5" rims. Bought them on C-list. Had them sandblasted and primed, then I painted them.

I have had these tires mounted on the rims for about a year now!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How wide are them there rims Eric? No fitment issues with the 4" kit? Transfer case looks undropped. How about driveline length, any issues? I already have 12 bolt wheels so I may as well use them as new wheels would cost only a few dollars less than spacers. On the rear, were the u-bolts inverted or installed like the factory ones? Enough U-bolt to add zero rates? Sorry for all the ????? but I have nearly the same truck with the same tires sitting in my AO.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rims I think are 7.5" wide.(I'll check tomorrow). No fitment issues at all(I haven't twisted it up). Plenty of clearance for on road use for sure. No T case drop. Drive shafts were both fine. The rear Shaft looks to be pulled out of the transfer case about 5/8". The front didn't bind and seems fine for length also. rear U bolts were installed the same as the stock bolts(flat topped u bolts sitting on top of the springs, nuts down). The rear U bolts would not be long enough for 0 rates. The front U bolts would work with 0 rates.I cut an inch off them so I could use a deep socket to tighten them). The right side inside uses new longer 5/8-11 bolts, they would need to be even longer to use 0 rates on the front.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Eric. I'll just piecemeal a kit together since there is only one U-Bolt I'll be able to use. With the 8.25 wide HMMWV rims I see some clearance issues cropping up that you won't have with the 7.5s, thats why I plan the zero rates. I also plan on moving the front axle an inch forward. Truth of the matter is I plan on using the EZ Inch . This companies customer service is beyond exemplary.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today, we took it to the Diner for breakfast/Sunday drive. I noticed both front tires seem to be wet with BFS on the inside of the tires!(only at the bottom of the tire, like it leaked sitting still). The calipers seem wet, somewhat. Both of the calipers were new, last year. I wonder if a stock caliper is BFS compatible(I'll call NAPA later). The master cyl was about 1/2" low in the large chamber. Never had any leaks before.

I currently have the rear load proportioning valve linkage disconnected. I left it disconnected because I forgot to notice/mark it's stock lever position(before I pulled the lever off the splines). I need to know where to index/install the lever on the splined shaft. I do see a small dot on the black plastic behind where the splined lever mounts. Can someone look closely at theirs and tell me where that dot is, in relation to the splined lever? The valve will spin continuously, 360 degrees. Maybe I am applying all the braking pressure to the front?

Tomorrow, Ill pull the front wheels and clean and inspect, to locate the leaks. Sure is odd to have both sides start leaking at once. I was careful to not pull on the brake lines and it does not appear to be wet on the brake lines, just the bottoms of the calipers.

One last problem, I haven't been allowed to drive since the lift/tires, were installed. I do feel like a rock star though, people stare at us and I have a chauffeur!:-D

Last edited:

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Looks good. I've been thinking about a 1028 myself, and doing just that.... until I was at Hundy's place this week and saw some 38 inch Michelin XL's that would look nice too, and fits the stock rim. Hopefully by the time I have the money saved up I'll have decided which way to go... that truck looks sweet though, nice job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks