• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 1 Person Top Remover

Pballer71

My dad and I were thinking of ideas for a top remover for my m1009, so in the summer i could just back up to it and either crank(his idea) or my idea where you backup and then put a 2x4 under the front part of the top and the rear part of the hood then tie the ropes to it(the measurements are just guesses not exact yet) which i made on sketchup. I was wondering if you guys have done anything like this or what your ideas would be for this? The orangeish looking block is a 2x4 the four ropes would be tied to so one winch (grey circular thing) could lift it.

Attachments

edpdx

Looks like it would do the job nicely. Do you have a garage or shed or barn with a rafter and a pulley- nothing to build :wink:

Anubis8472

I was just thinking about this myself...
I've got a large heavy duty engine hoist that I'm planning to use.

Thinking I should be able to fabricate a 'platform' of sorts to mount above the lift arm then just roll it in and lift it off.

I'm still going to need a helper to put the legs back in the hoist, but it should make top removal/install a breeze.

Of course the ideal setup would be some pulleys in the garage rafters to lift it, and store it in one shot.

ryan77

I just use a couple of deep well sockets roll the top to back of the truck and slid it off and set it down!!