• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 27si vs 22si alternator?

jholler

Ok, after reading throught the various alternator/generator threads I am convinced my #1 is shot. gen1 and oil lights come on AFTER truck is shut down, and the alternator is hot to the touch even when the engine is cold. (I unplugged it...I AM a firefighter, and don't feel like burning my truck down!) I called the local alternator/starter shop, and he quoted me $124 to rebuild my stock 27Si...but then told me a 22Si is exactly the same size and will put out 150 amps...for $127. Is there a downside to this? I WOULD like some more lights....8)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Downside is isolated ground. Need it for Alt2 and preferred to have for alt 1 as well incase you need to swap out on the road.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was going to change one to 150 Amps, I would change both of them to the 22Si.
Why and how? Only the front battery is used, once it's started and the glow plugs stop cycling(unless you have resupplied them,as many of us suggest. If so, then only for starting, is the rear battery used.).

You will surely void any warranty on a new alternator if you drill it's casing and modify it to an isolated ground(as needed for the rear battery).

100 amps is plenty.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks