• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 3/4 ton?

frankieg

What actually makes a M1009 a 3/4 ton? They just have standard corp. axles that are used on 1/2 tons. Did they add extra springs to call it a 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 ton?
Thanks

Westech

CPL
in the rear yes, the fronts are wider also then the civy units. 3" in the front and 2.5" in the rear. the lift kits for the civy will fit the military with new leaf spring hanger bolts.

4bogginchevys

every civvy blazer, truck, and suburban from 73 to early 87 i've ever seen had 3" wide front springs, 1 ton uses 3 springs, 1/2 and 3/4 ton use 2 springs. Aftermarket lift springs are commonly 2.5 inches wide. My 1.25 ton 1008 is really just a military issue 1 ton, I dont consider thier rating to be all that important anyways.

AJMBLAZER

They also use larger dia. u bolts than civi to hold the axle in place
Proof?
(You won't find any.)

3/4 ton is the military rating not the GM one
What he said.

I thought it was 5/8 ton anyway?

The military just rates these trucks by their actual rating and not their "marketing" rating. Do you really think a 1986 half ton truck can't haul more than a 1958 half ton truck? What about today with a F150 being able to tow like 10,000-lbs!

The suspensions on these trucks are all parts bin GM stuff. Nothing special or new about any of it.

4bogginchevys

I'm sure they exist bit i've never seen a 3/4 ton with 3 springs, and 2 that I have owned had 2 from the factory...I added 1 in eack pack to level off the front. And yes, I forgot about the 1/2 ton diesel trucks...I always disregard them as a bad run for chevy, but they were made. Thanks for the correction.:smile:

4bogginchevys

i'll be honest, if it weren't for the EXCELLENT running 6.2 in the 1008, I would still believe they were the biggest mistake GM ever made... I like the duramax, cummins and gas motors by GM. Generally not a fan of extra heavy, under duty stuff like the 6.2. I got lucky and got a good one...i'll leave it at that2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks