• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 4inch Lift - Tires Wheels Bolt Pattern Offset???

DaveDawson

I am installing a 4" BDS lift including the new rear springs. I am going to go with a 35x12.5x15 tire. The wheels are the part that confuses me. I see 6x5.5 and 6x4.5. I am assuming this is the distance measurement for the bolt pattern. I have measured the pattern on the truck and I get 2.75" or 7cm didtance center to center.
The offset is all over the place. How do I determine the offset required for the larger wheel and tire. I have been all over the net looking for some type of chart and what all this means.
Since I am a member of this site, I decided to ask the guys that are the experts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your correct bolt pattern is 6x5.5" (= 6 lugs/studs placed on a 5.50" diameter).
For that size tires I would go with 15x10"-wheels with a 3.75" backspace, max. 4.0".

G.

Chaski

I wouldn't get too crazy buying wheels just yet. I don't know what the limitations are on 15" wheels on 10 bolt axles, but personally I would run a wheel narrower than 10", with at least 4" backspace. You can run into scrub radius issues with wide wheels and small backspacing. It pushes the centerline of the tire so far away from the pivot of the knuckle that you end up having clearance issues at full steering lock. I do not know what issues you may have with 15" wheels with large backspacing, the back part of the rim may come in contact with ball joints. Keep it in mind that HMMWV wheels are 8.25" wide and they run 12.5" wide tires.

Chaski

Mine is on M1008 axles, so I can't run 15" wheels as they won't clear the brake caliper without cutting a lot of material off the caliper. I have 16.5x8.25" HMMWV wheels that are recentered. I have flat centers, so the backspacing is maxed out as far as HMMWV wheels go. My backspacing is about 4.5". With front fender trimming I can stuff the axle against the bumpstops at full lock and clear 37" tires

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................... the back part of the rim may come in contact with ball joints....
...or the tire's sidewall, if you had the 15x8" wheels with 4+ inches of backspace.

In that case better go with only 3 inches of BS, not 4".

G.

richingalveston

Without changing axles,
I would do a 3 inch lift with the ord super flex springs and 33 inch x 12.5 wide tires which will fit the stock wheels if you want to keep them to save some money.
Spend the money saved on cross over steering and you will be able to get the most out of the 10 bolt axles. You can put some stronger axle shafts in and better hub locks and a front axle locker but any tire bigger than 33 and you will break the carrier in the diff..
If you stay with 33's and don't beat on it. Your truck will be the most capable it can be on 10 bolt axles with the above mentioned modifications.
If you wish to go bigger then don't spend a dime until you locate the dana 60 and 14 bolt you wish to use.

I would stick with the 4'' lift and I would not do 35'' tires. I put at 4'' ORD lift on my m1009 and some 33x12.5R15 on the original rims and it works great. I would
not go with a 3'' lift because, with a flexey lift like BDS or ORD, you will still rub those 33s with a 4'' lift.

IMG_4305.jpgIMG_4319.jpg

DaveDawson

It doesn't look like you had to trim the fenders. Any fender rub. Do they rub on anything lock to lock. I have been looking at this option with a re-centered Hummer wheel. Have you off-roaded this rig?
Awesome looking ride, by the way!

Ilikemtb999

I would stick with the 4'' lift and I would not do 35'' tires. I put at 4'' ORD lift on my m1009 and some 33x12.5R15 on the original rims and it works great. I would
not go with a 3'' lift because, with a flexey lift like BDS or ORD, you will still rub those 33s with a 4'' lift.
I have a 2" lift with 33" tires and it will only rub fully flexed and wheel nearly at lock in the front. It's only happened once because that's not an ideal position to be in but was a must at the time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One can set up their lift to keep the tires out of the fenders. I ran 35s and a 4 inch with spongy 52" springs with no issues. I did correct the bump stops to prevent tire rash which should be done an yways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks