• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 4spd manual conversion

2deuce

It was mentioned in another thread that the 350 chev manual bell housing has some differences from a 6.2 4spd manual bell housing. Can the 350 sb bell housing be used with a 6.2 and if so what does it take?

It was also mentioned somewhere that some 6.2 L engines did not have their crank machined for the pilot bearing. Is there a way to tell before you start the conversion?

Thanks,
Greg

2deuce

Is there any sign, whether from the vin, year built, % of CUCV's, whatever, that can give a hint or indication if the crank has the hole for the bushing or is it a crap shoot. If it is a total crap shoot what % rate do I have to worry about, from your experiences. I ask this because maybe I should wait until I have a tranny rebuild necessary anyway.

Thanks

dmc-4359

Is there any sign, whether from the vin, year built, % of CUCV's, whatever, that can give a hint or indication if the crank has the hole for the bushing or is it a crap shoot. If it is a total crap shoot what % rate do I have to worry about, from your experiences. I ask this because maybe I should wait until I have a tranny rebuild necessary anyway.

Thanks
None, you'll need to separate your existing transmission from the engine to get a look at it.

You can disconnect the front driveshaft, support the tranmission with a jack, unbolt the crossmember, rotate the flexplate and unbolt the torque converter, slide the torque converter back into the transmission, unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, and then slide the transmission 2 or 3 inches back onto the rear drive shaft yoke without investing too much in the way of effort. At that point you can use a mirror or even a small camera to take a picture of the crank and get a look at it.

You should see something like this (but not exactly, or you'll be replacing your flexplate):

Ignore my arrows, that picture was taken in response to a busted flexplate I had. You'll be concerned with the larger hole in the center. I cannot say for certain with regard to the diesels but GM used the same pilot bushing diameters throughout their standard corporate gasoline V8 offerings. I'd be surprised if it was any different for the 6.2. You just need to make sure the hole is wide and deep enough to accept the bushing. As I recall, they were about $5-10 from the parts house but it has been a while since I needed to replace one. Whatever part number you find for the diesel, should match up with one for a manual transmission Camaro or Corvette.

//use loctite on the six torque converter bolts when you put them back. The rest of what you'll encounter will do fine with 'wrench tight'.

Last edited:

2deuce

Thanks for the pointers.
What is the likely hood of finding the crank not bored? Is it a slim chance? or is it a rare that it is? 50/50? Will the year effect the %?

Thanks

Buster

My 86 was machined for a pilot bearing. I've not heard of a crank not being machined for one, but it wouldn't surprise me. I did the swap on mine four or five years ago. I pulled the pedal assembly and clutch assembly from a junk yard. It's a pretty easy and straight forward swap. If I were to do it again, I'd go hydraulic clutch though.

dmc-4359

Thanks for the pointers.
What is the likely hood of finding the crank not bored? Is it a slim chance? or is it a rare that it is? 50/50? Will the year effect the %?

Thanks
I'd venture it fairly rare to find a crankshaft that doesn't have the bushing space machined out. Even most cadillac big block V8 engines (which never came with a manual transmission after the 30's) have the recess bored out.

You've got a few things competing there. First, nobody likes to waste materials, so if the manufacturer can cast the crankshaft and save a few ounces on each unit that is nothing but free money. Along those lines, as a manufacturer you would like your product to meet the needs of as many applications as possible.

I'd guess that the few original 6.2 crankshafts that do not have the pilot bushing spot bored out are legitimate anomolies though I am hardly an authority on the subject.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks