• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 4wd question.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I have a simple question, about the M1009 while in 4WD mode.

Is there any limit to the amount of miles you can drive,
while in age stage of 4WD (high or low and front hubs locked.)?

I ask because I live and work in the Atlanta area, so I was stuck in heavy traffic for 10+ hours
yesterday, in all that snowbound gridlock. I managed to get to the bottom of the off-ramp right next to
my home in 2WD. However, it was too steep an incline to climb the ramp, until I locked the hubs,
and put it in 4WD and made it home.

Now tomorrow I am supposed to be at work at 8am. Which means I will be driving on ice again.
Unless they give me the day off... So I just needed to know if I can drive the entire 14 miles
to work in 4WD without any mechanical issues. I would think there would be no limit as to the miles.
However, since I am not sure.
I wanted to ask all of you, since you guys know alot more about such matters than I do.

Thank you, GOD bless all of you. Good night.

richingalveston

should be no problem, provided your maintenance is good. You could keep it in 4wd at all times if you wanted but your fuel mileage would suck and performance would not be good in certain situations.
As long as you do not have a front locker, they are dangerous on ice.

CycleJay

Hello Rich.

See, that is why I ask you guys these questions.
What do you mean as long as I do not have a front locker?
And that they are dangerous on ice.

I have a completely stock 1985 M1009.

Thank you.

cliffyp

Stock M1009 does not have a front locker. You'll be fine, just remember, 4x4 might help get you moving on snow and ice but it doesn't help you stop. Be careful.

richingalveston

you do have a rear locker which you probably noticed on your way home in the ice.

2wd can be safer because it allows more tires the ability to steer. if the tire is spinning then it is not steering.
in 2wd, 3 tires have the chance to steer. The one under power will probably do more spinning than steering. when in 4wd you reduce the steering to two tires and with the rear locker the steering can be reduced to one tire.
lock your hubs and keep it in two wheel drive until you need the 4wd in heavy ice and when moving slowly up hills. If the roads are just a little slushy and traffic is doing over 25 mph then 2wd can be safer.

it all boils down to tire traction on ice so don't overdrive your tires and brakes and watch out for all of the other idiots who could not call in sick.

good luck
Rich

markg

should be no problem, provided your maintenance is good. You could keep it in 4wd at all times if you wanted but your fuel mileage would suck and performance would not be good in certain situations.
As long as you do not have a front locker, they are dangerous on ice.
That is really not true. running on dry pavement for an extended period of time will cause premature wear on the drive line. think about what happens when you drive in 4x4 on dry pavement and turn a corner, you can feel the torque lock.(everything binding up) try it going slow and see for your self. vehicles that are made to run all wheel drive all the time have slip clutches in their transfer cases.

howardc

Basically lock in the hubs and put it in 4wheel drive only when needed. You'll be fine.
Ditto. I had to do this a couple of weeks ago in KY and didn't see any negative effects. My top speed in 4 hi was around 50.

4 lo i would not use unless stuck or driving slow and in short distances. But there are far smarter people on here than me...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks