• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, A/C and Banks Turbo

jag7720

I have an 85 M1009 that I put a new Banks Turbo on a few years ago. Now I'd like to put A/C.

Since the factory A/C pump goes on the same side as the turbo (I think), how would one go about installing A/C on a M1009 with a Banks System?

Is there an after market system that mounts to the left side?

airmech

The factory A/C is on the left side above the steering pump. You can add those components but will have to convert to 12v unless you can fab the brackets required to run the A/C compressor and alternator on that side.

jag7720

Oh. For some reason I thought it was on the right side... in that case, I guess it will be easier to do than i thought.

Thanks for the info

Mohawk Dave

jag7720,

How/where do you plan on putting the condenser and blower? Since all the 24v stuff is on the firewall? I was going to do your same set up, and use an OD Iron or Vintage Air, but I just bought a Cummins 6bt for my Oh9, so I can ditch the 24v stuff and use the stock condenser/blower. But I still am interested in how you will do this.

Thanks,

Dave

jag7720

Honestly, I hadn't thought that far. I am in Afghanistan for the next 11 months and I'm trying to plan out installing A/C when I get back.

My truck has been converted to 12V and as I think about it now, I might pull the power strips off the firewall and put the second batter in the civilian location. Installing the Banks kit requires you to remove the front battery tray and install a civilian tray.... so why not put the rear battery on the left side ???

At that point the firewall should be clear and allow me to use a factory style condenser and blower.

Thoughts?

Mohawk Dave

yep, you'll have room. You can get the parts from a parts truck, suburban, or other K5. Easy. Or buy new. I would recommend getting the new 10 cylinder compressor. The OEM was 6 cylinder. I think LMC has them IIRC.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks