• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Advice

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next addition to the fleet is maybe a M1009 Blazer. This would likely be for a daily driver. However, I know nothing about them. I've been searching, but the problems that I've found in threads, are all over the place and I can't get a sense if these things work well as a daily driver or not. Thoughts? Humor me for a moment and help answer the following:
- What kind of mileage can be expected in a M1009 Blazer?
- What are some of the biggest concerns/issues common to all? (besides rust)
- How robust is the engine such that it could accept alternate fuels (SVO, B100, etc.)?
- Any other thoughts?
- What is a comfortable crusing speed for the M1009 on the highway? (will not be only vehicle so don't expect trips over 200 miles.)

As always gents, advice is greatly appreciated. I'll continue to search, but after about 40 pages of threads on the search engine results, I'm still not able to answer my questions.

Kindest regards,

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ecostruction said:
- How robust is the engine such that it could accept alternate fuels (SVO, B100, etc.)?
- Any other thoughts?
- What is a comfortable crusing speed for the M1009 on the highway? (will not be only vehicle so don't expect trips over 200 miles
From what I have gathered listening to others, I haven't owned a CUCV myself but perhaps in the future...

1. Mileage averages 20mpg, sometimes as high as 22mpg.
2. Concerns include the bum injector pumps, electrical issues and starting problems below 20 degrees.
3. Engine is good for alternative fuels, but you will have to filter the fuel well and have a heated fuel tank to warm to desired temp - not as robust as deuce engine.
4. I have no other thoughts. Just dumb I guess....
5. Cruising speed is about 60-65 mph. Have heard some get higher but usually due to swapping gears or tires for larger ones.

ida34

RE: Re: M1009 Advice

The m1009 will cruise all day at 70 and if you do not watch it you can easily let it creep up to 75 or 80. Mine has no problem on the freeway. The trucks are geared lower so they can't cruise like the blazer. Glow plug issues usually top the problems people find but are easily corrected with a manual button to control the glow plugs.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

1009's have 3.08's I believe? so they will run down the freeway a bit faster than a 1008 with 4.56's. My 1009 seems happy at 65-70 no problem.

+1 on the electrical issues, I had a few with this truck right after I got it, not hard to fix, but time consuming to find the cause.....

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. This helps greatly.

Electrical problems? HA! I've owned Saabs and still have my original MGB and drive a Land Rover Discovery as an every day car. Talk about electrical problems.....

Bobert

I've gone 1,800 miles roundtrip at 70mph + in my m1009. Before that, I had no problems the 2 month I owned it.

It's been on and off since then just electrical problems.

Also, never seen anything over 17mpg that was at 65mph for the entire tank across Nebraska. mostly 16 with city/highway/joyriding

Some people have good enough luck for a daily driver, but I like to have 2 or 3 daily drivers.

Well worth the minor problems that come up from time to time.

acetomatoco

If you treat them like any other 24 year old K5 Blazer, they will give you similar service. The Military electrical concerns are surmountable with minimal effort, if you are handy with those issues in general. If not, they can cause you irritation of some kind, from time to time. For example, I have a bad tooth on the flex plate of my M1008, and once in a while it fails to engage the starter drive.. so, I have a 24 inch flat blade screwdriver on the floor under my mat. Open hood, insert screwdriver blade between two water pump fan bolts and rotate the engine a few degrees, start 6.2 replace screwdriver for next time, and off I go... Been doing this two years. Some day I will need to replace front shaft seal on xfer and that is when flex plate will get replaced. In the meantime a quart of ATF is $2 a couple times a year. Happy motoring

JohnFire

+1 also on the electrical issues, some of which is the adhoc 24v system the Chevy put in them to fit the Military requirement. I used to get 20+ mpg but am now down to 15-17mpg but am changeing the injectors to see if that is the cause. As Ace said these are 24 yr old vehicles, axle seals tend to go if the vehicle sat for awhile. Speed well I know I cruise no problem at 70-75mph, if I go by my GPS it is really 65-70 mph, heh heh go figure. I have buried the needle on more than one occasion. Including the first day I bought it from DRMO back in 99. Going down the autobahn and look down and the needle is flat pegged out. The other thing is NOISE. I am going to be comming back to PA from MO, and I will be wearing ear plugs to save what hearing I haven't lost from the military. If you need anything that i can help with just ask since you aren't too far from me.

Mike_Pop

I use my M1009 as a daily driver and am very impressed with it. Im generally a Ford truck person but I am surprised by the M1009. I've crossed the country three times in mine and got no better than 16mpg, 11mpg towing a trailer. They are very, very, slow going up mountains especially with a trailer. I have no problem cruising at 70mph all day long.

The best thing about the M1009 is that parts are cheap and available just about anywhere.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hey Eco, why not just come down and take a test ride in mine?

Yep on the electrical, yep on the leaky seals which I am replacing. I also replaced the vast majority of my suspension just because I had the opportunity. Electrical is an issue sometimes. I have not had the glowplug and starter issues...knock on green iron.

BigB84

ecostruction said:
- Any other thoughts?
- What is a comfortable crusing speed for the M1009 on the highway? (will not be only vehicle so don't expect trips over 200 miles.)

I've had my 1009 for about a year and Have used it as a daily driver since.
-I usually average 18-20 mpg w/ 33inch tires, depending on how heavy my foot was that week
-The only problems I've had have been with the glow plugs/glow plug relay and the starter, not too bad for a 25 yr old veh
-The Engine: Robust? uh, I wouldn't go as far as robust, but usually handles its own in most situations. I've read that lower gearing will help out in the power department
-The only other thoughts I have are: yea they are definitely are loud and you will smell like exhaust from time to time
-I definitely cruise comfortable at 70-75 but is definitely quiter at 60-65

Just my 2cents.
:driver:

gt1009

It's a great daily driver,
Average about 20mpg in mine
Problems with me have been mostly glow plug related. Fixed it with a manual switch though
I have no problem cruising at 75 on the highway, even short trips above 80 are possible, but fuel economy will suffer. One day i just got curious...85 mph is about your max speed on flat ground.

bruno_rs

in agreement with all the posts here. i have both a 1009 and 1008. shearing starterbolts is big issue, flywheel missing "teeth" due to the starters "jumping" out, and glow pugs and/or relays failing another. my 1009 has a 700r4 and 32"s, so she cruises at what you want her to... the 1008, well that's a different story altogether. (safe) top speed seems to be like 65... comfortable crusing speed is 45-55. neither have alot of b@lls but what do you want from a 24 year old truck? both trucks normally get around 20 mph and i'm seriously looking into running wvo. i'd like to find (ss) guys that have already converted to wvo/svo and/or thinking of doing so. good luck and be well.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

I love my M1009. Average around 17mpg with mixed highway, city and offroad. Have a manual glow plug button and no problems. The turning radius in tight parking lots cant be beat, its better than my Volkswagon Golf. Registration, insurance and parts are cheap. Can get 5 people in it and still have room for a trip to costco. I dont have any complaints about power, it gets me where I need to go a heck of alot faster than my duece. The only electrical problem I've had was from corroded battery connections which was an easy fix.

maritimer

i am getting about 20 mpg out of mine, as for speed well i can cruise comfortably with the needle buried and do so quite often. for the noise well i run cherry bombs on mine so yeah its a tad on the loud side when i come on to her. issues i have had with mine u-joints front and rear, brake master,combo valve, rear window crank assembly and explaining to my female bed warmer how i managed not to get the truck stuck down back. they do make handy tree pullers LOL

bigredlab

My Son (a Junior in Hight School) drives my blazer daily. To answer your questions:

1. He gets about 19-21mpg
2. We've had a couple of issues, nothing really big. This is my first diesel, so the learning curve is pretty steep.
3. For alternate fuels it is pretty good overall, assuming you take the appropriate steps and precautions. If you are planning to run it with BioDiesel (B100, B99, etc.), you might need to replace the rubber fuel lines.
5. Depends on the gearing, we go 65-70 on the freeway.

If you do get one, download the manuals. If you are not mechanical or don't know about diesels, find a good diesel mechanic before you get one. It is a 20+ year old vehicle and will need some TLC, but you can't beat them in the Coolness factor!

jumpmasterjim

I've had a few of each, 1009/1008s'. I had a few Alternator problems until I found a good rebuild place. About 20/21 MPG. Fuel injector pumps supposedly last 100k before they need a rebuild. I've got 30k on my 1009 with mostly little things. Its time for an exhaust sytem. Now the question should I or shouldn't I put a turbo on. Definetly not good for towing. I jackknifed about 2 miles from Chambersburg. Almost ruined the truck. My 1009 is pretty quiet. although I put carpet in and now I'm putting sound dampening under carpet. Shout be real quiet now. The only other issues are a little rust. I've purchased rocker repair kits and will be finishing up on them hopefully soon. To me this is my way of staying sane. I just have to convince my girlfriend. Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks