• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Air Force Markings

Sarge

AF markings

Glenn, Crash_AF is right on the money.
Because I'm a know-it-all, I'll elaborate.
52FW is the 52nd Fighter Wing.
Every Air Base (AB) overseas, or every Air Force Base (AFB) stateside belongs to a Wing.
There are Fighter Wings, Bomber Wings and many other types of Wings. There are exceptions to this rule, but not too many.
The unit lower than a Wing is a Group. There are Supply Groups, Fighter Groups, etc.
The unit lower than a Group is a Squadron. Again, there are Fighter Squadrons, Sevices Squadrons, etc.
The smallest unit in the USAF is the Flight. The Flight is often reserved for small units belonging to a Squadron, but often at a remote location.
So, the general heirarchy is;
Major Command (MAJCOM)
Wing, Group, Squadron, Flight.
That is typical.
The markings you saw were 52FW (meaning the unit belongs to the 52nd Fighter Wing, also Spangdahlem AB)
52SF (as Crash_AF already said) is the 52nd Security Forces Squadron, they are pretty large because their duties include physical defense of the entire Spangdahlem Air Base, nearby the prior Bitburg Air Base (now called the Spangdahlem AB Annex) and several other outlying locations. 52SF also deploys with either Fighter Squadron as necessary.
The most interesting markings you mentioned were T101 on the trailer. The trailer should have a registration number similar to this; 06L233. I said similar, not exactly that number.
More interesting was the tan block on the trailer. Typically, this means that the trailer could have been stolen from the Army and re-marked. More likely, the trailer was destined for the Army through the supply system and a bunch of them got re-routed to the USAF. Whichever the answer is, the AF has failed to mark it correctly. If you could tell me the registration number from the data plate, I could tell you which scenario is most likely. If the data plate has been removed, the first scenario is correct.
A lot of (ah-hem) re-distribution of assets took place in the sand-box, but not normally in Germany where you are much more likely to get caught.
I would lean towards the second scenario simply because our professional security Forces personnel would not commit such a dastardly deed.
I do blather, don't I?
-Sarge

JohnFire

Yep I second that Crash is dead on. I was stationed at Spangdahlem AB for 3 years. Everybody pretty much are part of the 52FW fighter wing. Then you have your units. For us it was 52CES/CEF or 52 cival engineering squadron/ CEF is for fire depts. Sometimes units could request materials from other branches if needed. Especially if there is surplus and all they had to do is go through the DRMS system.

mutt1966

Anyone have any idea what this marking means on the middle of the hood both doors and tailgate a WHITE TRIANGLE with ACC in the middle of the triangles on a M1009 any ideas. Thanks Scott

Archangel 03

On my solid green 84 USAF 1009 the number is in the center of the front bumper where the national star is on the ones we had in the army. Also on each door under "official use only", and the lower right corner of the tailgate. There are no national stars on it anywhere.

Archangel 03

Could you tell me what the numbers mean? we've got a different system in the army lol.
Also, it's got two parts id labels, the one in the engine bay has army vehicle identification markings listed on it, and the one in the glove box says air force id markings. could it have been with the army at some point? It's also been repainted from it's original camo.
Thanks, Arc

Attachments

Last edited: