• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Alternator Light coming on

Mike_Pop

My Gen 1 light is on very faintly but my alternator is fine. It's so faint that I can only see the glow at night. Any reason for this? The belts are the right tightness as well.

I'm making a cross country trip and want to make sure I don't have any problems.

Thanks in advance!

acetomatoco

check for corrosion in the socket where the bulbs are.. also, check the output of the two alts and the connections at the bosch relay for the alt kickin. Take two spare batteries with you and a set of Nato jumpers with alligator clamps on one end...just in case..good insurance...also bring a jumper so you can run glow plugs if the card pukes...I use plier handles in an emergency.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: M1009 Alternator Light coming on

blowngn said:
Also could be residual lighting making it's way from the main instrument cluster
NOPE, there is no way for light from the instrument cluster to get to that part of the dash, its very well seperated from the rest of the lights.

blowngn

RE: Re: RE: M1009 Alternator Light coming on

yea your right i looked at mine it is way to far! good lookout

2deuce

My 1009 has done this in the past and the #1 light stays on much longer than #2 after it starts also. But it hasn't given me any trouble. The dull glow seems to come and go but #1 light never goes out until I rev the engine after startup.

acetomatoco

The revving up allows the first alternator voltage to come up and then the 2nd alternator Bosch relay by your ashtray clicks and allows the voltage to be put in series to 28V or so... watch your voltmeter when the second light goes off... It depends on how good your batteries are, time of year (cold) etc...

CCATLETT1984

I know that on my truck, a few others as well, that you need to blip the throttle a little, to get the 2nd alternator to "exicte" itself. since its almost impossible to have two alternators with the exact same turn-on points.

Mike_Pop

I had my alternator tested and it is fluctuating in the amperage. My mechanic said it is probably a diode going bad. I'll pull it and have it fix it for me.

gasser

Re: RE: Re: RE: M1009 Alternator Light coming on

CCATLETT1984 said:
I know that on my truck, a few others as well, that you need to blip the throttle a little, to get the 2nd alternator to "exicte" itself. since its almost impossible to have two alternators with the exact same turn-on points.
Indeed ... This occurs with mine, and the other two "drivers" that I owned.

-graham

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M1009 Alternator Light coming on

I pulled my alternator and found that the positive battery post had burned on the inside of the alternator. It was an easy fix, a fifty cent bolt.

greybird

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M1009 Alternator Light coming on

good find... NEVER IGNORE A SUBTLE HINT !!!

sub·tle /ˈsʌtl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suht-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, -tler, -tlest.
1. thin, tenuous, or rarefied, as a fluid or an odor.
2. fine or delicate in meaning or intent; difficult to perceive or understand: subtle irony.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks